The Children

Beyond the walls of Roanoke colony, wolves moved like living shadows in shades of gray and brown. To the knowledge of the English, such predators had never come to the island. For lack of game or lack of access through the waters of Roanoke Sound, their presence had never been a concern.

But still they came that night, in numbers beyond counting. They had found access.

They had found prey.

Within those rude walls of wood sharpened and staked, the children of Roanoke sat in their beds. Since before the call of the wolves and before the rise of eldritch light, they'd waited. They held in their tiny hands the instruments of life in the New World. Scissors for cutting leather. Hammers for driving nails. Knives for skinning game. Long needles for darning clothes. They held these things and turned them over slowly in their fingers, the glint of honed steel in candlelight a meaningless and distant spark in their eyes -- eyes that stared beyond the walls and deep into night's silent terrors.

They were not afraid, these children of Roanoke.

They awaited the call of the man who had once come for them. The one who spoke to them in their dreams, who had shown them the empty eyes of the dead and who had promised to come again.

They were not afraid because night was his, as they would be his.

This night, he had promised them, he would come again.

And so he did.