Chapter 23...Christmas Cheer?

The place was just so serene and beautiful. The garden had an annex with a state of the art gym, indoor heated pool. There was also a tennis court and a beautiful garden. The house had been purpose fitted for someone in a wheelchair and there were many staff at hand to assist with whatever wish the occupants desired.

"Mom, he is getting better? Isn't he?" I said looking at my brother in the heated Jacuzzi as the masseuse rubbed down his legs.

He smiled at her and she gave one in return.

My brother was like a three year old. He was learning to walk, talk and eat on his own. It broke my heart to see him like this but the progress he had made over the last year was unbelievable.

"He is doing marvellous!" Olivia beamed going over to her son.

She tried to help him get out of the pool. He stopped her assistance. His feet were very unsteady and it took a long time to actually get one foot out of the pool. He was determined and wanted to do it on his own which he eventually did after ten minutes.

"Well done Chris! You will be running marathons tomorrow!" Our Mom beamed.

"I ... sure... will!" Chris spoke slowly with a slur. His speech had been the most improved. He could barely utter a word after the operation.

I was still angry with him for not telling us about the operation. His PA Alison eventually felt we had to know and our mother had been shattered when she had first learnt about the operation and the rehabilitation. I think almost losing Chris had been the most heart wrenching for us. He could have died and we would have been clueless to it all.

However I knew my brother had not wanted us to see him so vulnerable. He did not want his loved ones to feel his pain. He was now learning everything again. The doctors had been positive. They felt that his progress was great and soon he would be back to normal. His physiotherapy and speech and language sessions had shown remarkable progression since we had found out about the surgery.

I went over to them and gave him a hug.

"So Mr. Marathon would you like a game of cricket?" I asked watching his eyes light up.

"Game...on!" he said wheeling himself to the indoor area set up for the game.

"That is cheating!" I screamed as Chris stoned the ball to me. As a former fast bowler his techniques were still there and the throwing action actually helped to strengthen his arms.

"Lo...ser!" he shouted as he wheeled to get the ball. It was difficult for him to pick it up but he did so. He was very determined to be fully mobile as he wanted to do tasks on his own. He would fail multiple times but never gave up. He had better, the company missed him.

"Okay two balls left this over." Our mother said who was our umpire for the match.

"I am waiting, bring it on O'Connor!" I egged on my brother who bowled a superb delivery at me and all I could do was twist and fall to the ground as the ball hit the cricket stumps.

"Out!" our mother screamed as she high fived Chris.

"I...win!" Chris shouted spinning his wheel chair in a victory dance.

I sat on the artificial grass and threw my bat in mock protest as I watched my brother thoroughly enjoying his win.

Later that night we sat in the terrace enjoying the evening sky which was awash with coloured clouds and a cool breeze.

"So what do you think we should do about the Salman Project?" I asked Chris.

He looked pensive before he spoke, "You... need...to...find...out...about...the...land...first."