Piano Man - Chapter 12

Noah held my hand as we walked along the gravel part of the road, making sure he was closest to the cars so if one got out of control then he would get hurt, but I am pretty sure it was because of the snake we saw exiting the tall grass. He was pretty shaken up and I did jump slightly but I wasn’t afraid of a simple garter snake. Whichever reason it was, I didn’t mind him being protective and holding my hand, with his fingers intertwined with mine. I loved walking with Noah and I could have walked with him forever, but the other part of me wanted to hurry up and confront this fraud pretending to be my dad so I could figure out the truth. My stomach was going going crazy, it was twisting and turning in excitement as I knew how close I was to finding out where my real dad is.

“Just a mile straight ahead, then we turn left and we are basically there” Noah stated, breaking the silence as I was lost in my thoughts. “Then we will figure out why he was lying to you”  Noah added as his voice tightened and his jaw clenched slightly. He was just as angry as I about the subject because he wanted to find my dad for the sake of his dad. I now get why Robby has been so upset at my dad over the years but little did Robby know that wasn’t our dad, our dad wasn’t a jackass who wanted nothing to do with us. Our dad was still out there in the world somewhere maybe trying just as hard to find us as we are trying to find him. I couldn’t wait to explain this to Robby and then hopefully I would have him by my side when we search and eventually find him.

“I just don’t get how someone can lie to two kids he doesn’t even know, crushing their dreams of finding their father”

“Darcy don’t get mad at me for saying this...” Noah stopped walking and looked me in the eyes, It was hard to see every detail of his face as the sun was going down creating shadows on his face but I could tell he didn’t look very happy, more serious than the usual Noah.

“What?” I asked. I knew that there were many reasons why that man could have lied to us and I had went over many possibilities in my head, but shoot me if I am trying to be optimistic here. Why always be thinking negative thoughts, I know we are suppose to expect the worst but I don’t have to except it until I know that the worst is the truth.

“Maybe your dad set up all these things because he doesn’t want to be found.” Noah broke eye contact with me as he scratched the back of his head and started walking again, but very slowly. “ I mean none of his best friends no where he is, and the letter, and then this guy” Noah stated. “ It just seems like long shot that they are all coincidences.”

“I know” I agreed with him and he looked a bit shocked. “But either way I want to find my dad, I don’t care if I don’t get him back as my dad, but I would like an explanation” I explained. “ So my mind can stop wondering, stop blaming myself...” I added.

“How in the world could this be your fault?” Noah asked raising his voice a tad.

“ My mom, Robby and him were all a happy family before I came. I just want to know that I didn’t ruin my mom’s chance with the love of her life, and my brother’s chance of having a father to look up to. I just need to know the reason wasn’t me”

“You heard my father Darc, Harry always wanted a little girl...a little girl named Darcy to be exact. I know it is hard to believe but he wanted you.”