Chapter 2: A New Life

After we moved to Houston, and were able to find some stables for the horses, we moved them here as well.

My 8th grade year I bought a gelding  with the barn name Scamp.

My mom had a mare we named Amber that I would playday and do small rodeo's on. She was fantastic at barrels!!! I showed rabbits, pigs, a lamb, and my horse in FFA all through highschool.

I worked off and on with horses in and of school. I also had other part time work that I did.

Afew years after I graduated from CE King. When I was around 20. I found myself working with racehorses.

We had moved to  Dayton, TX by 2 summers after I graduated from Highschool.

There's no greater feeling than being atop of a horse, on a flat saddle, galloping with the wind in your face.

I was in LOVE with my job. 

I started out at one barn outside Livingston, TX. Was only there about a month. I then started working at a barn in the same town I lived in.

I had to be at the barn at day break. Starting with pulling some horses from their stalls, putting them on the walker, then cleaning their stalls. It was hard and tedious work but it didn't feel like alot of work to me!!

The trainer I worked for was an older gentleman that had got better broken up in a wreak he had coming back from the horse races one night pulling his trailer.

The first "wreak" I had there was on a TB he had for someone in training.

I had trotted him out to the little exercise track, down the straight away, broke into a slow lope to warm him up, back up the straight away, then turn him in front of the gates to breeze him. I made the turn around on him and smooched at him to take off. Within 2 strides he ducked his head and sucked back.
Over the top his head I went!

I loved ridding the trainer's running horse. Kogaran's Bluff. She was an easy filly to work.

My days consisted of getting up at about 5 in the morning. Coming home at lunch the being back at the exercise track by 4 that afternoon. Then stopping by sun down. I did that 6 days aweek.

About a little over a year doing this. I started just strictly ridding at afew barns.

I averaged about 4-6 horses an hour depending on how many laps around or if I work the down the straight away.