Let Him Go?

Today was... Terrible. A Ravenous Witherstorm is on the loose, and Petra is missing. With this Witherstorm rampaging around the entire world, nothing feels safe anymore.

I huddled up in a corner. My friends and I built a shelter so we could be 'safe' over night. My pig, Reuben, cuddled up next to me.

I looked over at Lukas. He stared blankly into the distance.

"Oh, Man!" Axel shouted. Olivia replied, "What are you screaming about?"

"You're never gonna believe what I have. I got cookies!" Axel cheered. "Of course, one for me..."

"One for Olivia..."

Axel handed me a cookie. "One for Jesse..." I was about to eat, but then my eyes strayed over to Lukas.

"One for Reuben. ...Sorry, Lukas. I only got four cookies."

Lukas responded, "It's okay. I'm not really that hungry anyways."

I looked at the cookie in my hand. I got up and walked over to Lukas.

"Take it, Lukas." I said as I handed my cookie to him. He probably needed it more than I did.

"Thank you, Jesse." He said. Axel looked at me angrily. "That was yours. Why did you give it to him?" I didn't respond.

For what seemed like the longest time, the entire shelter was quiet. Axel was glaring at Lukas the whole time.

"Well, it's getting late. We better get some rest..." Lukas said. "We can search for the temple in the morning. If we start at the Nether Portal and-"

"Whoaaawhoahwhoa. What the heck are you doing?" Axel interrupted. "Who put you in charge?"

"Axel, Lukas is only trying to help." I replied.

"Sure he is. He's the only one wearing that stupid jacket. He shouldn't boss us around." Axel said.

Lukas angrily stomped over to Axel.

"Take. That. Back." He growled.

"Why would I?" Axel replied.

Lukas shouted, "You know what? I get to wear this jacket because I know how to build. But that doesn't mean that I don't know how to break things."

" Am I supposed to feel threatened by you? 'Cause I'm not." Axel snapped back.

Lukas gritted his teeth. "Jesse, your friend is way out of line! What did I ever to do him?!" I replied, "Let's just drop all of this."

Axel rolled his eyes. "Don't be like that, Jesse." I angrily responded, "Just drop it already."

"Haven't you done enough damage for one day, Lukas?" Axel snapped. "Petra might be dead because of you." Olivia ran over to Axel. "You're taking this way too far, Axel!"

"I don't have to take any of this..." Lukas growled. "Here's a solution- I'll just leave and let you guys take over from here." He stormed towards the door.

"You can't leave! It's too dangerous out there!" Olivia protested. Lukas looked back at us. "It's what Axel wants, right?"

Axel replied, "Let him leave if he wants to leave." Axel looked over at me. "What do you think, Jesse? Should we keep this tool?"

I was frozen- I didn't know who to defend. Axel is my friend, but it's way too dangerous out there.

"Did you just call me a tool?!" Lukas yelled.

"Lukas-" I uttered. He cut me off before I could finish. "You guys are better off without me. I'm leaving." He stormed out of the shelter. Olivia glared at me. "Why did you let him leave? You know how dangerous it is out there, Jesse."

I didn't respond. Amidst the silence, a loud clap of thunder echoed through the area and the sound of rain hitting the roof of the shelter was prominent. "We... Should probably get some rest..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't sleep. Terrible thoughts kept racing through my head. If something happened to Lukas out there, It would my fault. If I had just said something, he wouldn't be out there alone.

Another loud clap of thunder reverberated through the area. I tried to console myself, convincing myself that Lukas would be fine.

An enormous lightning strike lit up the area, and I heard a scream from far away. I sat up, shocked.

It was Lukas's voice.

I bolted out of the shelter and ran through the downpour, shouting Lukas's name.

"Lukas! Where are you?! Are you alright?! Lukas!"

I just kept running. Eventually, I found him. He was face-to-face with a creeper surrounded by a shocking blue aura.

"Jesse?!" He shouted. "What are you doing out here?! Run!" I ignored him and pulled out my golden sword.

The creeper turned its head and drew closer to me. "Leave him alone, you green menace!" I shouted as I charged towards the creeper and struck it with my sword.

It began to flash and hiss. "JESSE, WATCH OUT!" Lukas screamed as he pushed me away. A loud explosion was heard as we collided with the ground.

The creeper was gone. All that was left of it was an enormous crater. "That was a charged creeper. They're apparently twice as explosive as normal creepers." Lukas said. I responded, "So, they're two times as deadly."

"Jesse, what are you doing out here? It's not safe! You... Should go back to the others." Lukas muttered. I replied, "I came back for you. We need you, Lukas."

Lukas lethargically responded, "You guys don't want me. Well, at least Axel doesn't." I retaliated, saying "He's just been on edge ever since we lost Petra. We're all upset about it. Axel didn't mean to insult you."

A loud crack of thunder rebounded through the air. "We better head back to the shelter," Lukas suggested. "It'll be safer there."

As we were walking back, the rainstorm got even heavier. A cold wind blew past, and I pulled my jacket closer around me before I even realized that I was wearing a jacket. "What in the-"

I looked over to Lukas, who had draped his leather jacket around me, said, "You need it more than I do."

I smiled and replied, "Thanks."

The whole time we were walking back, I walked a little closer to him. It just felt right.