Chapter 1: The King and His Guard

"The way things are, we have two choices." The King of Goryeo, King Gong Min was sitting on a chair opposite his most trusted general Choi Young who was also the leader of his personal guards, the Wu Dal Chi. "One is that you give up your position and live with her somewhere far from here where no one would know who you are."

He searched Choi Young's eyes to make sure he understood his next words. "But she will have to make sure never to stand out. You must teach her the ways of a Goryeo woman and she must not heal anyone nor use any of her tools." He paused for emphasis. "If you were to be found out, even with your strength it is impossible to fight against the world, not without a position of power."

Choi Young contemplated the thought of living with Eun Soo on a small house near a river. He had dreams like that before. He still dreamed of it from time to time, especially when he remembers her smiling face. The thought brought on some painful memories. Like when Eun Soo and the former King Choong Jung had waved at him goodbye with their smiling faces filled with trust. He failed them that time.

I am sorry that I couldn't do anything when Gyung Chang was dying even if I am a doctor and that I made you do that with your own hands. And I'm also sorry that I stabbed you in front of heaven's door. But thank you for being alive. I know you protect me even if I bother you and complain about everything. I really appreciate that.

Her voice sounded clear in his ears as if she were just beside him. He almost turned his head to gaze at her. It had been like that in the four years that she was away. Every time he felt sad or burdened. Every time he blamed himself or felt incompetent, she would always whisper a chide or an apology or even sometimes yell at him in his mind. He couldn't tear her off his thoughts and so he continued living each day as if she were there.

And every time he strove to live on he would see her smile. He always believed she would come back. He had placed his faith in her, he could not afford not to.

At the moment he just wanted to go and see her again and live with her somewhere safe, away from everything. However, he couldn't contemplate changing a single thing about her. Eun Soo acting like a Goryeo woman? He almost snorted at the thought. And her not being able to use her skills would be torture for her, to her it would be like not living at all. There was once a time when he thought living only meant not dying. It was through her that he learned there was more to life than that. He stopped his musings and faced his King. "And the other option?"

"She can come back to the palace and become Eui Seon again." Choi Young's eyes narrowed at this. But the King continued. "I am no longer the weak King I was five years ago. And you can protect her easier inside the palace."

The King's lips curved into a little sad smile before he went on "And I know that despite the fact that you want to be with her, you don't really want to leave the kingdom in the midst of war. She will be free to be herself whilst being protected by the Kingdom. I can even make her position have an official seat of power. I owe her a lot. And I can make these things happen as the King of Goryeo."

Choi Young clenched his fist though his face showed nothing of what he was feeling. The King was right, it would not be the same as it was five years ago when the King just sat on the throne. At that time they needed Eun Soo as a symbol for the kingdom because the people had no faith in their new king. Eun Soo who came from the heavens had saved their Queen and Captain. It was a sign of blessing from the heavens. Although in reality Choi Young had kidnapped her and forced her to heal the Queen at sword point and it was this heavenly woman who actually stabbed him with his own sword.

But now that they have strengthened the kingdom and even managed to bring back their lost land, the people adored their king like no other. The palace would be the best place of protection for her. But there was a reason why it was the second option and not the first one and the two men facing each other knew this without saying.