27 - We Never Prayed

I fell sleep on Carol's shoulder after everybody cleared out and went home. It felt unsteady here at the Clinic but I felt the need to stay. Rick awkwardly fell sleep in a chair earlier with his head hanging to the side and a slouch now he paces the floor stretching, waiting for any word on Carl.

"Rick, come sit next to me." I got his attention and patted the floor next to me and he fought the urge to stay standing but eventually failed. I held his hand on my lap and scooted closer to him laying my legs on his and his free arm over mine. He was showered and ready to leave whenever Carl was able even though he said by sunrise I think he was just in the moment last night. I rested my head on the wall sighed looking at him.

"You shaved." I had just noticed his clean face. He reached up and scratched his cheek. "Yeah, it was getting a little long."

"I like you with a little hair on your face." He nodded and sat quietly as I ran my thumb across his hand until Aaron walked through the door with Eric by his side.

"Aaron told me you guys are planning on leaving?" He half smiled with a touch of worry in his eyes "Eric made a few baked goods for your trip." Aaron announced proudly looking over at him.

"Wow thanks." I took the bag from him and set it on a chair. Rick then stood up shaking Eric's hand. "Thank you." I could tell Rick was genuine when he said this and so did Aaron so he pushed him out of the way and hugged him. He burried his face in Rick's shoulder and mumbled something I couldn't understand.

Aaron moved back at smiled lightly "The Alexandrians may not agree with your... methods of leadership but I think you've done great. Thank you." he shook Ricks hand then looked to me "Take care of him. I think he needs you to calm him down every now and then." Eric let out a soft laugh and pulled Aaron out the door with him. I wrapped my arms around Ricks waist and hugged him tight.

The door squeaked and Carol apologized "I didn't mean to interrupt but Amy, you can see your friend before we go. If you'd like." I started for the door and Rick stopped me.

"If he tries anything, Amy, come get me. Okay?" he leaned down and kissed my forehead. I made my way down the hall and to the door with Carol next to me. I looked at the white bored hanging on the door and my huffed turning to Carol ""Hostile"?"

"It's only there for precaution." she stated lowly unlocking the door.

"You had to lock it too?" she didn't reply. I took the bored down and wiped it with my sleeve and hung it back up. I pushed the door open and shut it behind me. I wasn't mad with Carol but I didn't want her in here right now, I wanted to be alone with him. I pulled my sleeves over my shaking hands and slowly walked to the bed. He sat at the edge with his hands tied. He was clean and changed with a brush next to him. He seemed to not have changed a single bit since I last saw him four years ago and it kind of scared me, he wasn't supposed to be here. He just sat there and lightly smiled with his eyes big and his hair in his face as it always had been.

"Amelia." he breath and I noticed his eyes welling up a bit. My heart dropped to my stomach when he said my name like that. It's been so long that somebody sounded so much like home. "It's been so long. You look great, stronger may I add." he said.

"I've always been strong, I had to take care of you."

"I wasn't that bad." He replied scratching his jaw.

"You were an Addict and the world was coming to an end."

"Well there was that." he pointed at me agreeing. I walked closer to him slowly putting my hand out, I held it next to his face, to scared to really touch him. I took a deep breath and let him lean into my hand. The moment he touched me it felt like a knife to my chest. I let it go and I started to cry and he jumped up and put his tied hands over and around me.