Chapter 2

2.

First Person. Clara

"Do you think I should start on the History essay yet?" I asked Tammi nonchalantly. I knew I should, because later on I would procrastinate and put it off for last minute. A sloppy job is what my teacher, Mr. Allen, calls it.

"Yeah, you should start it now because my teacher said that it requires a lot of detail and you should use the APA format. They want to prep us for UNI," Tammi replied curtly. Her fingers were tapping at her mobile's screen at rapid speed and I was just amazed. How did this girl manage to not fall behind in school, work her job, and still have time for social networks?

"Ugh, but I'm so tired. Why can't they just test us? When in life are we going to need to do a presentation for History? I doubt I'm gonna live and be like 'Did you know that Kleenex were used as gas mask filters in WWII? Yeah, I learned this in History.'," I said quite irritated, "I mean, it's not like I'm going to become a historian and make presentations over history all the time."

"Yeah, you aren't but some people actually enjoy History class and they would like to make it a career," she replied as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, "I should be the one saying this is pointless to me. It's not like I'll make it to college."

I stared at her in disapproval. She knew that I didn't like her talking like that. I really hate when she talks about leaving. I can't stand the thought of her not being here, it tears my heart to shreds and breaks it like glass falling off a big height. 

"Will you please stop talking like that. Can't you just have faith in Jesus and believe you won't die? If you keep saying and believing the negative, it will end that way," I muttered. She shrugged and gave me an I don't care face.

I looked down at the granite table. This cafe was really empty today and you could tell because of how quiet it was. I found myself feeling anxious and desperate to leave this place now, so my fingers began tapping on the cold surface. It was probably dirty, but that didn't really faze me right now. I heard a 'ding' go off that alerted staff of new customer and then Tammi kicked my leg under the table. I looked up at her and she nodded her head towards the door.

A guy had walked in. He was rather tall and looked big. He was not lanky. Actually, on the contrary because he even seemed to be muscular. I looked up to see his face: heart-shaped head, heart-shaped strawberry pink lips, mossy green eyes, and fairly tan skin. His hair was a chocolatey brunette and it was messily tossed to the side, but it was a tad different than the usual Bieber flip guys usually sported because this man's hair was a bit curly and wavy.

He spoke to the person behind the counter and they nodded at him, "Harry, you're late. I don't think that looks so good for a new worker."

"I know sir, and I'm really sorry. I had to watch over friend's daughter and her mother took a while getting back," he said thickly. His voice was very low and it was even interesting. I had never heard a voice so deep.

"Okay kid, I'll let it slide. Get to the back and help Valerie ice the cupcakes that she just took out of the cooler. Go," the guy behind the counter said with a bit of humor in his voice. Harry smiled and nodded, grabbing an apron off the wall.

As soon as the guy was out of sight, Tammi looked at me and squealed, "Oh my god, that guy was so cute! His curls were the definition of adorable, don't you think?" she asked.

I nodded, giving a meek smile. I had to admit that Harry was very attractive and he had taken my breath away when I saw him. 

"And now we know his shift. We can visit this coffee shop after school when we can, just to see Harry," she said, rolling her 'r's like a Spanish person. I laughed and nodded. My eyes drifted to the counter again and I caught a glimpse of brown curls in the back. I felt a tap on my shoe and I looked up at Tammi once again, "Don't make it obvious you like him," she hissed quietly, "Play hard to get."