Chapter One

"Commot for road! If you dey find person wey go kill you, go find am for your papa house!" Feyi smiled as she heard the okada man yell at whatever poor Lagosian happened to be in his ways. She had missed Lagos, she realised. Lagos was one of the most crowded places in Nigeria. With citizens from all over the country who speak different languages, the popular vernacular "pidgin" is the one language most people understand even if they can't speak.
As she looked out of the window of the cab at the busy Street, she saw commercial bus drivers popularly known as "Danfo" drivers acting crazy as usual ;what with their stopping abruptly in the middle of the road to pick passengers, the okada men and sometimes boys who believed they were invincible with the way they flew in between cars and trucks and trailers. She saw the park boys"agbero" yelling at each other; the women hawking bread and fruit and groundnuts and even tea. She smiled to herself again. Lagosians would hawk anything and people would buy.
The noise level was epic, as it always was, but Feyi didn't mind. Port Harcourt had been way too quiet for her. She thrived on the noise and chaos of Lagos streets with its different characters and different dramas everyday. One was unfolding in front of her as she watched. A woman highlighted from a bus and as the bus started moving she started running after it shouting "E duro! E duro!" (wait, wait in Yoruba). As soon as the bus stopped she started yelling at the driver and his conductor. Apparently, they had forgotten that she had a head load in their boot and had driven away with it. She touched her hand to her head and away in the universal sign for "you dey craze". Feyi laughed at the murderous look on the woman's face as the conductor mirrored her gesture. "oloshi" the woman muttered, hissed and walked away with her load on her head.
Yes, she had missed Lagos.
Hi gorgeous readers. I am extremely sorry I haven't been updating as much as I should, I've many excuses but I won't bore you with them. I just wanted to paint a picture of Lagos with this chapter. I hope you got the picture. Hope you enjoyed it. :)