Chapter One - POV: Frost.

For one to explain what it feels like to await your own death would be practically impossible. Sadly, for me, this was something I had to face. Everything had come back to me only seconds before the crowd roared with anticipation. The pain of the sharp gravel under my feet shot back through my bare feet, the cold wind left goose bumps all over my skin and the audiences roar filled my ears and on the stage in which I was to be executed on. It projected off the back of a tall building made of grey brick. Admittedly, it looked tidy, professional, but as my eyes dragged down to the floor in which I was to stand upon, I saw red stains. These were not just any red stains, but in fact it was the blood of many famous villains. At this time, though, there was no villain standing upon those stains, but instead, my hero and partner in a series of murders intended to stop the suffering of many people trapped by power.

Soon enough, a man dressed in rich clothing stood out on the stage, holding a beautiful quill and a piece of paper. “Edward Besslehoff,” he began as my breath fastened, “guilty as trailed for organising and carrying out the Riches Murders.” By this time, the crowd has gone silent, whilst I looked at them in disgust as I saw their eyes full of hope and eagerness. “Have you any final words?” the man questioned, turning to Edward resentfully.

“Yes,” Edward responded whilst standing up courageously. His chest was bare and he only wore rags for pants. His brown hair shot out in every direction and his face was disgustingly filthy with black dirt and sweat. The crowd began to murmur but this did not distract Edward. “First of all, I would like to apologize to my partner,” he explained as he turned to me, his eyes full of emotion. “I’m sorry I did us wrong, just know this, it wasn’t your fault.” His words were so untrue, though I knew he meant it. It was not either of our faults that we were caught, but in fact, one of our contacts had been captured and tortured for the truth. Those were dark times, I knew but what I was about to face was much, much worse. Edward looked back out to the restless crowd, “Secondly, I would like to explain why we murdered these people.”

“Shut up!” one of the members of the audience screamed.

“I have the right to speak!” Edward shouted back in a deep, intimidating voice. “I murdered those people for a reason. They had consumed themselves. Money and power had controlled them for too long!” he shouted passionately. “They had lost the connection with humanity and infact, they had killed more than me and my partner combined!” I knew he was right and that was the reason why I had partaken in the murders.

As Edward went on, I noticed a shady figure perched on the tall building adjacent to the. The stealthy figure had a draping hood over his body, clearly to hide his identity, just as I did with my red cape. “I was helping these people!” Edwards’s words pounded into my thoughts as I stared at the figure. I could see both the guard and crowd becoming impatient as I quickly glanced back at them, before my eyes shot back at the mysterious person. They soon pulled a bow from the harness around their back, and readied it quickly, whilst grabbing an arrow. I glanced down to the hard stage, wondering if this was an act of revenge or an attempt to save Edward.

“Enough!” the guard yelled pulling a golden gun from his harness and pointing it towards Edward. Edward did not flinch though, he continued with his speech as I looked back at the shady figure. I could tell he was waiting for the correct opportunity, but I was worried he might be too late. Hastily looking back at the guard I saw his finger move to the trigger and without hesitation, he forced a bullet from the barrel of the gun. My entire body flinched but as I felt a scream forming in my throat, I could not project it from my mouth. I looked up at the hooded character as I saw his body language fall in disappointment. I turned around, to a guard I was aware had been standing in the position the entire time.

A swift jab to the stomach forced his body to hunch over, allowing my knee to pound into his face leaving him unconscious. I quickly grabbed the sword from his harness and began to run towards the stage. I knew this was completely unplanned but at that point in time, I had no control over my actions. An arrow flew past me and punctured the skull of a guard behind me, sending him into a state of everlasting sleep. I knew it was the hooded figure as I positioned myself, over Edward’s helpless body. The mysterious figure soon joined me, standing on the other side of me. “No prisoners,” a deep voice from behind me said quietly.

“I wasn’t planning on it,” I responded launching my sword into the air as a guard approached. Everything went blurry except for my targets; that was all that mattered. I plunged my sword into the stomach of a guard before hauling it from his body and swiftly swinging around the hack into the neck of another guard. It was nothing less than a blood bath. Their moans for help only pushed me on further, sending each and every one of them to the floor, forcing each and every one of them to an early death. Blood was dripping from my sword and after time it even covered my face and clothing.