Chapter 1

In the summer of 2012, I was an incoming senior student at my high school. We had an annual summer camp at school to promote unity among the students. As if the rest of the school year was not enough encouragement for the students to bond already. I hated social events, or attending them rather. I would have loved to skip this camp if it were not for my best friend, Steph, who kept on bugging me to attend. The reason behind this is because the camp is exclusively for seniors, so it would be our first and last chance to attend.

I had to say yes in the end, because no none has the power to say no to Steph, as proven by my parents. It wasn't me who decided to come, but Steph had already told my parents about making me attend the thing the moment it came up at our dining table when he gladly let himself stay for dinner. Steph is short for Stephan, Stephan Eric Sison. We've been friends for as long as I can remember. We are neighbors, you see, we basically grew up together. He is a year older than me, and a very active student in my school. Aside from having almost perfect grades and playing basketball, he is a part of the yearbook committee, the vice president of the student body, and a member of several other clubs. He should be busy but he seems to always have time in his hands. I, on the other hand, like to maintain a low-key status. I never raised my hands in class, or speak when not spoken to. I think the other students see me as distant and snobbish but that is for the best. It's fine to have one good friend.

The camp this year would be held in Benguet. I decided to pack lightly and to just buy the things I need when I get there. I will just bring my phone, wallet, toiletries, undies, a couple of my Doctor Who and Sherlock shirts, and my favorite jacket with me. All of those can fit in my backpack. A few minutes later, Steph started banging on my bedroom door shouting, "Hurry up!"

I don't see why he's in such a hurry. It's only one-thirty in the morning and the bus doesn't leave until two. My house is not a long walk from school, and besides, my brother who is home for the summer from uni would drop us off. I grabbed my bag, and my music player and headphones from my desk before answering the door.

"What? It's just one-thirty", I said as I opened my door.

"Dude, your clock's fifteen minutes late! It's one-forty five and if we don't leave now, we won't have a bus to ride", he said in disbelief.

I rolled my eyes and went out. My brother, Jayce was already out front in the car.

"You took your time", he said, "got your shark week pads with you, sis?"
"Shut up, J", I stuck my tongue at him.

Shark week is our code for period. I was trying to ditch going to this camp by telling my mom that I'd be having my period on the same week. I used to have terrible cramps whenever I got my period, so I thought that she'd agree. To my utter surprise and bewilderment, Jayce suddenly joined our conversation.

"Ma, she just had her shark week a few days ago."

"How do you know that?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.

He got out his phone and opened a period tracker app. "I keep track, so that I know when exactly to piss you off. And that perfect time would be a couple of weeks from now."
"Jayce, YOU CREEP! Delete that app IMMEDIATELY. Mom, help me with this!"

My mom just laughed. She found our childish fights cute, she said that it reminds her of our childhood days.

While inside the car, Steph lectured me on being tardy and he adjusted the time on my phone so that it is on-time. We were the last to arrive at school. The buses were already filled with students and ready to go. Jayce told us to have a good time before we boarded our bus. It was a long eight hours of travel time to reach our destination. So I got out my mp3 player and my headphone splitter so that Steph and I can both listen to music. He liked my taste and did not bother to buy his own music. Just after the bus got to the freeway, both of us were already asleep.