[3] Labyrinth of Lies

Chapter Three
[Labyrinth of Lies]

The deep frown on Levi Ackerman's forehead was evident as he looked at his colleague disbelievingly. "I didn't know they have a daughter."

Erwin Smith looked as though he was about to say something that shouldn't be said because the expression on his face held uncertainty. He was squeezing his fists, struggling to keep a calm demeanor. "Nobody knows, except the family and their closest friends. Helen and Timothy kept the girl locked up all this time."

"Locked up?" Levi sputtered, dumbfounded. "Why?"

"Even if you ask me, I don't know," Erwin said then reached for his cup of coffee. But instead of drinking, he merely stared at it with sharp eyes. "I have no idea why they're trying to hide her existence. But one thing's for sure, they're keeping a secret. And whatever it is, it might be related to what's happened now."

Levi couldn't quite comprehend everything that he was hearing. Whether it was much too complicated or he was just too tired to even think, he didn't know. Every single thing just didn't make sense to him. What's this Alice girl got to do with her parents' death? More importantly, where did she go? It was possible that whoever killed the couple had her--- Wait.

Alice girl.. A girl.

His eyes widened a fraction as realization struck him. It couldn't be...

"Erwin," he started, standing upright then swiftly grabbing his car keys from the table, "Come with me."

Erwin darted his gaze to the raven, frowning in wonder at the sudden urgency of his tone and actions. "Where are we going?"

"To Alice Psiren," Levi stated in a serious voice, "I think I have her."

***

"You can't keep her locked up from the world forever. Alice is growing up. She deserves a life of her own."

"Shut up, Eren! You must know your stand in this family! You and Jean are here for Alice... Just play your roles and stay out of our way!"

Eren hissed at the memory, slamming his fist against the concrete wall. He didn't make so much noise, as he intended to, and only grit his teeth to suppress a loud cry.

This was entirely bullshit.

"Where are you, Alice?" he breathed in a whisper, cupping his forehead miserably. His men already searched the entire town but they couldn't find her anywhere. He refused to consider the possibility that something had already happened to her---he couldn't. But Alice was completely helpless, there's no way she could have gotten far.

"Eren."

He gasped when he heard that voice. He quickly turned around to look at Armin Arlert who just came in to the room. "Armin."

"What did you do to Alice?"

He straightened his back, narrowing his eyes into a glare. He was just about to open his mouth to speak when the memory of what happened earlier took over his mind. He balled his fists, grinding his teeth as his sight darted away from Armin. "I didn't.. do anything to her..."

"Eren," the blonde spoke in a serious voice, his eyes were sharp and were glaring directly at him, "Don't get me wrong. Just because you and your parents paid me to stay by her side and be a good friend to Alice doesn't mean that I don't really care about her. She's important to me, too. That's why I can't overlook this." Armin crossed the distance between them, growling, then grabbed him by the collar. "Why did you have to do this?! Why did you have to commit a crime by killing your parents?! You should have thought everything out first before plunging in! You're not a murderer, Eren!"

"I lost control," Eren whispered darkly, pushing Armin away from him, "I fucking lost it. Before I knew what I did, my hands were already stained with blood."

"You're sick, Eren."

"Maybe I am. But Alice is..." He trailed off deliberately, allowing his tears to fall from his emerald eyes. "Alice is the sole reason for my existence. To make her mine, I'm willing to do anything. And to protect her, I'll kill anyone."

Armin stared at him for a good minute, studying the expression on his face. "I know what made you so twisted like this and what drove you to becoming the person you are now. But this time... Get ahold of yourself, Eren! I already asked Reiner and Bertholdt to take care of everything, including the evidence you left, but it'll be a heck of a trouble if Jean or Erwin Smith finds Alice first. You'll end up losing everything."

Upon hearing that, Eren managed to compose himself, getting a hold of his bearings. "You're right, Armin. Sorry for getting you involved."

Right. He couldn't afford to lose everything now. Not now. They had to find Alice before Jean does.

He should. And he MUST...

***

With one strong push, Jean knocked down his study table, causing everything above it to scatter around the ground.

His parents were dead, Eren was hurt, their sister was missing, and the perfect home they built for Alice shattered into pieces. He could hardly believe that all of this happened while he was away.

"Damn it," he cussed through gritted teeth.

He clutched his throbbing chest, trying to control his emotions. He couldn't let this break him now. Alice and Eren needed him so he must stay level-headed for his younger siblings.

"I'll make them pay... Whoever did this will pay me in full," he growled, clenching his fists. The tears in his eyes weren't able to conceal the darkness that enveloped his hues.

He'd do anything to make it happen---he'd make them pay. Whoever they were. No matter what.

The ringing of his phone snapped him out of his thoughts. After checking the caller ID, he gathered himself, wiping his tears away, then answered the call. "Yes, Erwin. Any news?"

"Jean? Come to Trost General Hospital."

He furrowed his brows. "Why? What happened?"

"I--" Erwin Smith abruptly stopped talking, but then continued to correct himself, "No.. We found your sister."

His eyes widened in surprise, but the relief that washed over him made his knees wobble for a second. He held onto his chair for support, regaining a much tranquil composition. "R-Really?"

"Yeah, so be here quick. Detective Ackerman will see you in the lobby."

"Detective Ackerman? Mikasa's brother?"

"Yes," Erwin replied right away, "Levi was the one who found Alice and brought her here in the hospital. Although she's currently unconscious, she will be okay."

He released a heavy sigh upon hearing that. At least he could calm down just a little bit now that Alice was found. "I'll be there. I'll just go get Eren."

"Okay. Be careful."

"Thank you for your help, Erwin."

There was a short moment of silence before, "You know you don't have to thank me, Jean. Even though we're not related by blood, we're a family."

Right. That's right.

Now that their parents were gone, he must do everything he could to prevent this family from tearing apart.

Even if it meant they had to continue living in a world of lies...

----------

A/N: Among my fanfictions, this one has the craziest plot. It's sick and sad LOOL But, well, I still love this because every update is a challenge :)