Chapter 1

"There once was a race more advanced than any other, and their city was named Atlantis. The Atlantiens were said to have reached the power no human should have, and so their marvelous city, Atlantis was sunk under the Atlantic ocean. Many men have searched for this cities wonders but, most of those men never came back. Many believe now that Atlantis was nothing but a legend, but some still believe in its existence. How was that for a story, Elisse? It was my favorite when I was a young. Always love the ocean, 'kay? It's because I know that the city of Atlantis still out there, under those big blue waves."

"But mom, how do you know?"

"Remember all those disappearances during surfing tournaments or just normal vacations, when the victims would suddenly reappear. I believe that those rescues were done by the Atlantiens." My mother answered energetically.

Six years later my mother died of cancer and left me with my dad at the age of eleven. Ever since that day, her death, I would observe the ocean from the beach near my new home, either sitting on the sand dunes or on a tall rock a bit off shore. Sometimes I thought I could see eyes starring back at me from the water. But, every time I saw them I was thinking of my mothers story. Which probably meant that they were tricks of my imagination.

This routine continued for three more years, until I was fourteen. One day, I was sitting on my usual rock. When I got up to go home, I slipped and fell into the ocean. Of course, I could swim, but the problem was that the waves kept turning me around and pushing me against the rocks. All I could remember was a head of black hair and deep blue eyes starring back at me. When I woke up, I was in a hospital room with my dad pleading me to never go to the beach alone because I was his only daughter and non-painful reminder of mom. The problem was that the beach was the place I'd be able to think alone and think of mom, but if I couldn't go alone, what would I do then? Look out my window to the ocean that lay beyond? That was exactly what my father said to do, and I had no choice.