♡Better Off♡

He said that it was better this way. He said that him being away from home all the time would make us break up anyway. I didn't believe him.

"Why now?" I asked.

"What?" Cal mumbled.

We both sat on the couch, on either side. The empty space in between was hard not to notice.

"Why did you decide to break up now? We've done long distance before. We've been doing this for a year now." I explained.

His head was in his hands and he didn't bother to look up to answer. "It's hard Y/N. I don't think I can take it anymore. It's better off this way."

I stood up. "You mean you're better off this way." That was the last thing I said to him.

The next month was torture. I watched Calum and his band smash it around the world. They looked so happy. He looked so happy. I was the complete opposite. All because I was still in love with him. It wasn't until one night, I had a knock at my door. What I didn't expect was to find Calum standing there, head hung low with his hands stuffed deep into his jean pockets.

"Hey..." He said. I didn't know what to say so I just gave a small smile. "Do you mind if I come in?" I shook my head and opened the door wider to let him in. "I missed this place." I think he meant to for me not to hear. I followed him, sitting on the couch. "How have you been?"

"Fine, I guess." I lied.

"That's great." He mumbled.

"What are you doing here?" I could barely find my voice because I was so nervous.

He brushed his fingers through his messy hair. I watched him carefully and noticed how exhausted he looked. "I went driving for a bit and I don't know... I found myself driving here."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry if I interrupted something or-"

"No no, it's alright. I just didn't expect you to come here since..."

He finished my sentence, "Since I broke up with you."

"Yeah, that."

"I was thinking about that in the car. Why did I break up with you? I mean, at the time I had valid reason. I was busy. I couldn't cope. But when tour started I realised that it was sostupid. I broke up with you because I was scared, not because I couldn't do long distance. Then I realised I was... I'm still in love with you."

I took a short breath in and he noticed my uncomfortable presence. "I-I..."

"It's okay if you don't feel the same. But I just wanted you to know that because I can't continue without saying that to you again." We unconsciously found ourselves getting closer and closer on the couch until I felt his leg touch mine.

"I love you too." I mumbled. His head snapped up to look at me in surprise. "I still do."

My hand gently took his in mine and I felt him relax. "I know this is stupid, but maybe things can go back to the way they were."

I smiled at him, "Yeah, maybe."

That night I rested comfortably by Calum's side. Our finger entwined, my head resting on his chest. We talked about us, we talked about everything. And all I thought that night was that things will work out.