Goodbye

I am going to visit my older brother today. It had been a while. Almost 6 months to be precise. I could always remember how he spend hours on end in the bathroom fixing and perfecting his Bieber flick. But those hours are gone. I had the bathroom to myself now.

As I walk around the bare trees, the orange and red leaves float like fairies up and around me. Birds chirped soft, cheerful lullabies in the nearby trees, those of which echoed all around myself and the clearing. The tall, pale yellow daffodils that grow wildly in the freshly trimmed grass signal the start of spring. The beginning of new life. My brothers favourite season. I could hear the roar of the afternoon traffic on the north side of the small field. The sound rooting  me back to reality.

Other people, both old and young, drifted about drearily and quiet. It gave me a small comfort to know I was not alone in this time of despair, that I wasn't the only one feeling this way. As I step over a low hanging chain fence and walk across the fine, green grass I could smell the freshness radiating off of it like a spring scented air freshener.

As I reach the smooth, grey concrete steps there's a sudden strong SWOOSH of wind as it blows past my trembling shoulders, then stillness as I look up at my brothers memorial place. I kneel down in front of the large gloomy stone and reach for his name.

Thayer Rosebrooke
A brave soul
Friend Son and Brother
XMay he Rest In Peace

Wishing I could speak to him one last time I run my fingers leisurely over his name. Then I stand and leave. Not once looking back. Finally accepting he is gone.