21 // The 1975

{step into your skin? I'd rather jump in your bones}

Matty and I left the coffee shop an hour and a half later, still not wanting to leave each other's presence, but needing a change of scene. Although I had driven myself to meet Matty, we ended up in his van, just like old times.

"Where to?" he said, turning the key in the ignition.

"Anywhere you'd like to take me," I responded with a sly smile.

"You got it."

Before I knew it, we were heading down the familiar roads I had seen before. I soon recognized them as the streets I had walked late at night, crying over Matty revealing his previously undisclosed love for me. We were heading back to his place.

I was right. Before I knew it, our witty banter from the car ride and coffee was over and I was walking up the front steps to Matty's house. He paused at the door, turning around and looking at me. "Um, would you mind waiting here for a second?" he asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "Why?" We were adults, I didn't understand why I wasn't allowed to come in with him.

"It's just that my parents are away and I wanted to make sure my brother isn't here before I bring you inside."

"You know, I could—I don't know—meet him?"

Matty smiled at me as he opened the door. "I know, it's just that my approach will be . . . different if he isn't here."

And with that, he disappeared into the darkened house. Judging from the lack of lights that I could see from my position, the house was empty. Although, I would be lying if I said that I didn't want to meet Matty's younger brother. He had rarely talked about him, but when he did, it was obvious how much he cared. The way his eyes sparkled with the mention of his younger brother always took me by surprise, but I loved it. I loved knowing that Matty cared about something other than his music and me. He had another life I was only beginning to see, and I couldn't wait to see more of it.

The front door opened and Matty grabbed my hand immediately, pulling me inside. "He's not here," he said. I sensed where this was going before it happened, but it still surprised me when Matty pinned me against the wall in the hallway. His face was a mere breath from mine, a sly smirk on his lips. But I wanted something else on his lips: mine. I closed the distance between us, instantly receiving a soft moan from Matty. There was no doubt that he wanted this as much as I did. The two of us had both been heartbroken for the past month, believing that we would never get the chance to do it again. But here we were, and I was so fucking glad to have the chance to start over with Matty, to try again to make this work.

Our kisses gradually became more frantic, more passionate, as we attempted to make our way from the hallway just inside the door to Matty's bedroom without separating ourselves from each other. We crashed into a table with a vase of flowers, nearly knocking them onto the ground, but giggled and moved on. We twirled dizzily down the hall, continually pushing each other against walls until we fell through the doorway into Matty's room. Before I knew it, I was falling backwards onto his bed, the dark covers still unmade from the night before.

He detached himself from me, quickly shutting the door and grinning as he pulled his shirt off. In the second or two it took him to walk back to the bed, I had also pulled mine off.

"What did you do that for?" Matty said, leaning in even closer. "I was really looking forward to taking that off you myself." He smirked at me, but I cut him off, grabbing one of his hands and pulling him forward, placing my lips on his. He leaned into the kiss, crawling forward on the bed. I leaned back slowly, Matty kissing my jawline as his hands guided me to lie down.