Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Chapter 2

The best dates are those you don't go on.

Grace opened the small jewelry box and picked out a pair of star-shaped dangle earrings. Would they work better with her hair up or down? Dang, this whole getting-ready-for-a-date thing was harder than it looked in movies. She glanced over her shoulder at her pale pink chiffon dress. Was it too short?

She sighed and focused on putting the earrings in. How she wished she could wear strong colors: blood red, midnight blue, even black. In her first weeks, she'd bought herself a nice black leather jacket and dark blue jeans - an outfit she saw fit for a future Demon hunter. But those colors were unfit for an Angel. She could almost see the disapproving glares she would gather. She'd never gotten to wear the outfit. It still lay hidden in the depths of her closet.

Her eyes drifted to her right hand. Though it had somewhat subsided, the rash persisted. Maybe if she covered it with makeup... Would that classify as lying? Nah, best not think about it. Because if it turned out to be lying, a new wave of red dots could pop on her forehead next. And Nate would definitely notice that.

The door swung open and her roommate, Faith, bustled in like an overexcited tornado. "Grace, wait till I tell you the news!" She jumped on her bed. "It was the most amazing night of my life."

Grace surveyed her friend in the mirror while combing her hair. Long and straight. Could it get any more boring than that? "All right, what is it this time?"

Faith dropped to her back and waved her arms as if making a snow angel. "Azriel almost kissed me! We went out to this really nice place and he held my hand and everything. Then, he leaned over the table, and kissed me right here." She pressed her finger to the corner of her mouth. "It was like my skin caught fire, like-" She frowned as though searching for a word to describe the feeling.

Well, apparently Azriel had decided to wash down all the Demon slaying with a date, too. "That sounds great. And it was about time." Grace pulled her hair into a high ponytail. Nah, she didn't like it. "He's been courting you since forever. I'm surprised the two of you haven't left on the Journey yet."

"I sometimes wonder, too." Faith sat up. "Maybe he wants to be really sure. It's an eternal commitment after all." She wrung her hands.

"You seem pretty sure." Grace struggled to pull the mascara open. Oh, wait, this one unscrews. Pull at lipstick.

Feeling like an idiot, she unscrewed it with ease. In her defense, this was maybe the second time she'd used mascara. Angels didn't need make up. Physical perfection was in their nature, but she hated looking like everyone else. Even as she watched Faith in the mirror, she realized what little difference there was between them. Her friend had the same silvery hair, same icy gray eyes. Sure, there were differences, like bone structure and other subtle features, but they seemed so unimportant when everyone had the same color. Dark lashes would make her stand out.

"I am sure. You know I've loved him for decades. Eternity isn't long enough." Faith smiled, then her eyes widened. She seemed to finally notice Grace. "Where are you going, dressed so fancy?"

"Nate sorta asked me out." Grace couldn't help but grin.

Faith squealed. "Really? I'm so happy for you."

"He didn't mention it was a date, but told me to get all prepped up. Which is what I'm doing." She lifted her hair again.

"No, leave it down. It looks much better. And, to quote you, 'it was about time'. I told you he liked you."

Yes, Faith had mentioned it many times, but Grace had refused to think about it. She bit her lip. Nate was her mentor, her partner. Developing a passion for him was inappropriate. Besides, it took Angels ages to decide on a mate. But when they did, it was till death did them apart.