Chapter One - Power of Francium

Francium, it was something I had learned about at a very young age. Many students at various high schools around the world would have heard about it. Yet, I doubt that many of the student population would have retained any knowledge of this wonderful element. Such as, how powerful it is. I will take it upon myself to re-inform you of the element, Francium.

Francium is a highly reactive alkali metal.

Now, by highly reactive, I mean highly reactive. The chemical reaction generated from Francium when it comes into contact with water creates a small explosion. It is also highly radioactive, which makes it quite difficult to accumulate a large quantity of Francium. This diffuculty to acquire Francium is also coupled by the fact that it only has a half life of 22 minutes.

I will not go into any more details such as energy levels and electrons amounts but know this:

Francium is NOT to be tampered with!

Lily caught me by the collar of my shirt and spun me around to face her. "You can't go to the movies dressed in your uniform!" She hissed between her teeth, her bright green eyes lighting up.

I looked down at my school uniform. A white blouse, a black skirt that ended just above my knees and long red and black stripped socks. We were all still dressed in our uniforms since we had only just arrived at my house where Lily and Collete planned to sleep over.

"She's right, you know." Colette backed up Lily. Laughter spilled from my tightly pursed lips at the sound of her bad imitation of Headless Nick. Collete tossed her untamable mane of black hair behind her shoulder, a smile playing at her lips.

"Alright," I caved. "I'll change." Lily smiled at me and ushered me to my bedroom door. They awaited outside.

Quickly, I threw on a pair of dark skinny jeans, a white singlet and a purple sweater. My bright blue converses followed. I pulled my brush through my tangle of red hair, the result of rushing through half a dozen classes for the last 6 hours.

I stopped and stared into the mirror, the brown of my eyes swirled within their iris's. What could be causing that? Usually my eyes only acted this way whenever I was using my powers, but it had been three months since I had been required to use them.

It must be an omen, I concluded. Something was going to happen tonight, my eyes were evidence of that.

"Jane!" Lily yelled at my door. The pounding that followed ripped me from my mesmerized staring. "We're ready! What's taking so long?"

I opened the door just as Lily attempted to beat it down once again. Frozen mid knock she stared at me, she must have noticed my eyes. Colette noticed too.

"It's an omen." I whispered. My feelings in this situation were unsure. An omen could either but good or bad. There was no use avoiding them, as it would end up happening either way. For example, whatever you were trying to avoid would simply happen, because the only way that whatever you were trying to avoid to happen would be to avoid it.

Yes, very complicated.

"Oh." Colette simply stated. There was no other way to put it.

The room became silent, we were each brooding over the omen.

"Okay!" Lily interrupted the silence. "I believe we had a movie to attend." She smiled and skipped to the door, her short brown hair bouncing just above her shoulders.

Shrugging, Colette and I followed.

We had decided earlier that we would walk the way to the cinema. It was only two blocks away and it was sunny and bright just before the snow would settle in for winter.