Chapter Four.

A black, tidal wave of darkness had hit the city as night fell. A rumble of death echoed through the streets, as the frequent sound of a car screeching past shattered the still night air and the sinister screech, of an unlucky man or woman, rattled the car windows. Penny slept heavily, leaning against me, worn out from running. I lowered my face, and kissed her on the forehead. 'I'm lucky she's alive,' I thought to myself, thanking the universe silently. I looked up at Dan. He was slumped against the passenger seat door, holding onto his damaged leg with one hand. Something caught my attention and i leaned forward, peering at his left fist. Something stuck out of his curled up fingers. I gently prized it from his hand and held it up. A faint light faded from a lamp post near by, and I could make out what was on the small picture. Dan's girlfriends face beamed back at me. I held it for a moment. I could never tell my best friend that the chances of Stacy being alive were slim to none. But if he held a shred of hope that she would be waiting for him, i wasn't about to take it away. I placed the photo back in his hand. I was about to sit back when a pair of eyes met mine. "I should probably ask what your name is..?" I whispered, keeping my tone low. "Why do you want to know?" The officer muttered. "You saved our lives," I said simply, leaning back against the head rest. "I suppose I did," the woman said closing her eyes. I sat there, wondering what was possibly happening, and hoping that is there was a God out there, they had a reasonable explanation for all of this. I could feel my eye lids growing heavy and I begun to drift off.

  "Scott." I opened my eyes, "What?" "Julie Scott." she said quietly, "my name." I reached my hand out to her and said in a low voice, "my name's Jack." She looked at my outstretched hand expectantly, "Jack what?" "Monroe," I whispered quietly, as Penny stirred in her sleep. Julie was silent for a moment. "Something wrong with my name?" I asked, confused. "No, I just, I used to know someone, last name was Monroe too," she said flatly, finally taking my hand, gripping my fingers tightly, then letting go. "Oh," was all I could say. I sat still thinking. "So, what are we planning to do when it get's light? It's gonna be pretty difficult to get out of Manhattan and we can't stay here, but what's the other option?," I said. "I've got a plan." She sat, facing forward, looking out into the black night. Most of the lights in the city were out. It was a rare sight to see New York so dark. One, i'd never thought I would witness. "What's that?" I asked disbelievingly. "You'll see," She said. I watched her carefully, her gaze unmoving. I kept my focus on her, trying in my head, to figure her out. She was making it pretty difficult. I felt my eyes grow heavy once more, and soon I was gone.

  My eyes ripped open as a smash sounded, ringing around the car. I spun myself around in my seat. A woman was reaching out to me through the wind screen hanging on the trunk of the car, her hair sparse, and clothes dripping with blood. I flung around back wildly to Julie, and was relieved she was awake, angrily rubbing her eyes. She started the car up, and we reversed backwards, the woman in the back grabbing onto Penny's hair. Penny let out a small scream and I punched the woman in the head. Nothing happened. "Let me do it," Julie gestured for me to move my head out the way, and I obliged. She pulled out her gun and shot the woman clean in the middle of her forehead. Her grip released, and she tumbled out onto the street. We reversed out and there was a slow, gruesome crunch from beneath the tyres. Julie swore under her breath,and I covered Penny's eyes, as we drove down the abandoned street. 

  "So, where are you planning on going?" Dan stared at the officer, furrowing his brow. He hadn't slept well, judging from his matted hair and blood shot eyes. I glanced down. His girlfriends face smiled at me from the floor. Dan caught my eye and he hastily bent over and shoved the picture in his pocket. I cleared my throat, asking dubiously, "So, what's this big plan of yours Julie?" "We're going to see a friend," the officer looked straight ahead, and narrowed her eyes, "and, don't call me that." "Fine. Scott then?" I inquired, sighing a little. "Yeah," she said, looking on at the deserted streets. I glanced out the window. Streaks of blood littered the pavement and apartment blocks were abandoned. From the smashed in window on the top story of a tall building a man plummeted down and hit the ground, his organs exploding on the side walk. I turned away, feeling my face draining of its colour. Suddenly, the car swerved, and a young couple staggered across, the man holding on to the woman tightly and screaming for help. His clothes were torn and on the girls shoulder lay a gaping, oozing wound. Behind them, a swarm of diseased followed. The car drove on. "What are you doing?" I asked, glaring at Scott, "go back!" She ignored me, biting her lip. I leant forward, irrationally reaching for the steering wheel. Dan took a hold of my wrists, and pushed me down in my seat. I stared at him, astonished, my mouth wide open. "You're going to leave them? They'll die!" I directed towards Scott. "That wound of hers, It's trouble. The bite must be what turns them into those," She said gesturing behind us. "You don't know that for sure.." I said angrily. I spun around and looked out of the back window. The hoard had overpowered them, and all I could see was an arm and a leg being passed around and the sound of stifled screams of premature, unjust death.