The death of Brother Estephan

Brother Estephan Nehme was never at rest, his life centered at living the bylaw of the Lebanese Maronite Order and its spirituality with preciseness and integrity, following the steps of the monks who were righteous, distributing his time between work and prayers, till the last days of his life.

Report on his death:
Brother Estephan had a pious life that ended virtuously at the Monastery of Saints Cyprian and Justine, on August 30th, 1938.

        Father Antonios Nehme, Superior of Kfifane Monastery, wrote in the register of deceased monks, number 22:
"On Tuesday 30th of August, 1938, at 7 pm, B. Estephan from Lehfed left this ephemeral world at the age of 49. He was a helpful monk and devoted to the interests of the monastery. He was strong and sturdy, peaceful, kind and sober. He worked in the fields and he was skillful in manual labor. He respected his duties as well as his vows and achieved the required mission meticulously.

     Few days before his decease, he went to the Monastery of Mayfouk in order to demarcate the lands of the Maronite Order who bought during the war some pieces of land. Last fall, the partners rebelled claiming the possession of the lands' totality. Thus, the Order was obliged to prove this possession and confirm it. The monks convened then the topographers in order to demarcate the monastery's borders. It is worth mentioning that the said people have hidden the limits so that they embezzle the returns. The late monk was convened to uncover the limits since he was present in Mayfouk at the moment of sale. At the end, the borders were revealed as consented at the moment of sale. But B. Estephan got a sunstroke which caused him a severe fever that eventually led to an apoplexy and put an end to his life. May he rest in peace!"

     It was 7 p.m. when Brother Estephan passed away on 30 August 1938 at the age of 49. He deceased full of holiness and graces and was buried in the tomb of monks in the monastery of Kfifane.

     On March 10th, 1951, while monks were burying the late Father Youssef Souraty who spent his sunset in this convent, they found the body of Brother Estephan non decayed.