Reuniting..

[ Nikki in the media ]

"So, how are you? And how is everything?" My mother asked me. We were walking through Times Square, near one of my favorite parks, like we use to do. So many memories were coming back.

"Uh, Rose and I are great. She's really..she's a blessing. I couldn't be more grateful to have someone like her in my life."

"That's good! I'm happy to know that she makes you feel that way, at least someone does." She chuckles.

I looked down and then finally over at her. She had tears in her tears.

"Ma, you know I never was able to figure out why you let me go. Why you didn't come after me. Why you didn't check and see if I was okay. It was like you--huh. Like you didn't even care." I stopped walking and turned to her.

I need an answer. Why? I'm not sure, I guess I'm still looking for peace. I guess if she could make me understand, I could try to be a daughter. But right about now, everything was becoming too overwhelming.

"Look, I was afraid. Of what people would think about of me, as a parent. I thought people would have felt that I was responsible." she confessed, tears running down her face.

"So, you were ashamed of me?" I asked.

"A little. Look I know it was mean and selfish, Nik. I was blinded by caring too much about other's opinions, I lost the most important thing I had ever been given. My little Nicole."

My mother touched my face. I felt my lips tremble as I tried to keep it together but I failed. I was in tears. I reached out hoping she'd grab me tight and she did.

"I'm so sorry baby. I didn't realize how selfish and cruel I was being. And I'm sorry that it took this long to tell you. No one knows how horrible I feel as a parent and an individual." she rubbed my hair.

Flashes of us laughing on the way home from my basketball rushed through my head and I suddenly remembered all of the good times we once had. I squeezed her tighter. I did not want to let go. I had lost of the best people before and now I'm blessed to have her back.

"I forgive you, mommy. Don't ever leave me again, please."

"I wont beautiful. I knoe this foesnt make everything peachy, but im so happy you decided to give me a second chance." I let her go and wiped my face. My phone buzzed.

It was Rose.

"I have to go. Rose and I made plans. But please, come over whenever. You're welcome to come over any time."

"Okay honey. Tell Rose I said hello." She hugged me and kissed my cheek. I smiled and we parted.

I called Rose as I waited for the train.

"Hey, I've been texting you. Are you okay?" Rose asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just left from seeing mommy." I sniffed. I was unbelievably happy. I feel like another part of me had been filled.

I had my mother back. I was no longer angry at her. I wanted her here. I needed her here. To guide me. Teach me. Love me.

"Babe, that's great! How was it? Did you guys talk?"

"Yes. Everything is fine. I'll fill you in on the details, later. Where are you?"

"Leaving the doctor's. We still on for ice cream? I have a few hours to spare before work." Rose suggested.

"Yea, let's do that. See you soon baby."

"I love you sexy."

I smirked. "I love you more."

I bit my lip as I thought about how well my life was shaping. I have an amazing woman in my life. Rose is the fucking best.

My heart felt as though it was smiling. I finally had my other favorite person back in my life. Life couldn't be any better.