Prologue

When they say, "Your life can change in just a blink of an eye, and just two beats of your heart," I never took them seriously. My life was pretty normal. Not a great relationship with my parents but still, what could possibly ruin my life? I had a bright future. Straight A's, a boyfriend who loved me and we would have kids and get married, and college in less than two years. Everything was perfect.

Until everything did change. A blink of my eye, and two heart beats sounding in my ears, and all of a sudden, everyone around me was getting ripped apart, and people were screaming and running. I was screaming and running. No one knew what was going on, but we knew we had to run, or they would get us.

Society would cease to exist.

Only, we couldn't ran fast enough. Society hid. The government fell. Most of the living died that first week.

But they didn't stay down.

Most of my city was bombed. Not all of it, but many buildings blew up as we tried to contain the outbreak. But every person they killed, rose back up. Nothing can kill them, except for a blow to the brain. Always go for the brain. Stab it, shoot it, stomp their faces in, cut off its head. The brain is the only thing keeping them alive. I know it. I can hear it. I can feel it. They feel no pain. They know no pain. Only force and death

And hunger.

They hunger for warm flesh, beating hearts, slimy intestines, anything that breathes and moves. No one is safe. No one is going to live. We are all bound to be devoured by the things we read in books. The things people wished for for the thrill, but ended up as lunch. We fight for life, food and safety. We were wrong to wish for something like this. We were so very, very wrong. No one even knows how it started. We just know we have to survive. Oh god, who brought these things to us? Who did this? Who?

How can we survive in a world that's gone to hell? Where, once you die, you turn into one of them, without even a bite or scratch?

How can we survive against the undead?

How can we survive against the zombies?