Chapter V - Three Sides of a Coin

I struggled climbing up the stairs. I was still limping due to a fracture on my leg. But I didn't care. More like I couldn't care. My senses ceased to function, and numbness has taken control my body.

I was basically dragging my dead body up to heaven or hell, depends on my conversation with Stevens.

The stairs seemed endless as I continued up the stairs. My mind was drifting off more than usual. Memories of our first meetings. How I'd love to go back to where we used to be. But I can't. No one can. The only way of relief is accepting reality.

>> 5 years ago - Bridgnorth Hospital <<

[ Ravie's Side ]

White.

That was all what I saw when I woke up from my slumber. Beeps flew in around the white halls, and more beeps rang through my ears indicating I had lived.

I tried standing up, but failed miserably. I couldn't. I just had no strength left in my body.

What the hell happened to me?

"Call the doctor! The patient woke up!" A woman in blue barked orders as she flustered.

I don't recognize the woman. More like, I couldn't. My vision was still blurry beyond relief. All I could see in the moment was a bunch of colors smudged in moving up and about.

"W-where am I?" I asked lowly. My voice wasn't fully cooperating with me, I guess.

The woman came closer to me, "You're in the hospital, dear." I raised my brow. Hospital?

Oh yeah. I remember now. I was hit by a car.

I squinted my eyes to focus my eyes to the woman. My vision became a bit more clear, and I saw the face of the woman. I recognize her. How could I not?

I smiled, "Hi mom. I'm sorry this happened."

Mom's eyes opened widely in confusion, "Why are you sorry, dear?"

"If only I went home earlier, then I would have avoided the heavy rain, I wouldn't get hit by a car, and you wouldn't have to spend for my expensive hospitalization." I looked at my mom sadly, and forced myself to smile.

"Honey, don't say that. It's my fault in the first place. I knew of the storm coming yet I didn't come pick you up sooner. I'm a failure of a mother." Mom's tears slid down her cheeks.