Chapter 4

"Sure why not?" I said and just like that, pony dragged me to where he saw the mad house. Pony paid the lady the two dollars for us to get in. I thought this was a complete waste of money. The set was dark, no noise, no colors. Just blackness. Then the lights turn on and I was sitting at home. I was but not me, it was a younger me. It sat at the kitchen table, scribbling on a piece of paper. I knew this moment all to well. "Dennis you leave Johnathan alone!" My mother shouted at my dad. The little 5 year old me looked away from my coloring book and at my mother in the distance. Her face bruised from where he hit her the week before. "Dennis please!?" She said as my father took large strides at me. Panic didn't take in my body at the time like it would have now. My father slipped off his old, worn out leather belt. He snapped it making that oh so fimilar whip sound. He slapped me hard and I fell to the floor. My mother's words from years ago haunted me "Don't cry Johnny, cry and he will kill you" I held back tears until I was gonna burst. I could never understand why I didn't cry that night until now. A girl with black hair in a braid waltz into the room. Her eyes so dark they matched her hair. Her clothing ragged and old. "You best leave my brother alone!" She said and memories flooded back. This was Emma, my sister. She was Darry's age and his best friend but I couldn't remember anything else. "You shut up you slut!" She couldn't have been any older than 9 at the time. She pushed her small slender hands against my father and he laughed. Slapping her with the belt this time instead of me. He hit her again and again despite my mother's wails of agony begging him to stop. "YOU'RE KILLING HER!" she screamed, my father whipped harder and harder until silence. Emma's chest no longer rose or fell but was in a permanent position. My father sneered and spit on her; before walking away. Emma was dead. My mother looked at me and cried. "You did this! You did this!" She screamed over and over and over. I felt myself become sick and weak. Finally the lights clicked off and pony's arm grabbed mine and rushed me out.