Chapter 12 - Birth of Trii Korteet

Fire. That was the first thing that Jack noticed once his vision clarified completely. Torches were held tightly in clenched fists, their flames reaching for the darkening skies above. He faintly recognized it as the town square that he was in with the others, but it was definitely far back in the past if the buildings and villagers' attires were anything to go off of.

The mob was in a roar, screeching and howling as they thrust their torches and other various "mob essentials" in the air. Their feet pounded on the cobblestone path as they circled a large tree in the center.

"Dear townspeople," a man's voice rumbled over the shouting, "we stand before you with whom you have accused of black arts to tell you that he has been found guilty." The crowd got louder at that. "His wicked ways and satanic prowess will no longer endanger the good people of Salem henceforth."

Jack pushed through the first level of people, who paid him no mind at all. They didn't seem to be able to see or feel him, though he was able to affect them with his own touch.

"In God's name, he shall be hung until all breath is gone and he cannot utter another spell to harm you again."

Heart pounding in his chest, Jack struggled to get to the front of the mob.

"Kill him!"

Jack could see a parting in the crowd up ahead.

"Witch!"

He could see the figure of the white-wigged man who must have been the one speaking to the people.

"Monster!"

Jack elbowed the last few people out of the way, stumbling into the clearing surrounding the tree and the man. Swiftly collecting himself, he gazed up at the child on the small podium, a noose wrapped loosely around his trembling neck as he was sobbed.

"No!" Trii shouted, tugging on the restraints currently cutting off circulation in his hands. "I wasn't doing anything! I wasn't!"

"Be silent, witch," the white-wigged man hissed. A deep scowl settled itself upon his features as he turned his glare onto the terrified boy. "Witnesses have come forth with encounters of you performing your witchcraft. Speaking with the dead. Disguising yourself in beastly attire as you terrorize these good people. Making deals with the Devil himself!"

"I wasn't doing anything wrong!" Trii shouted in retaliation, shaking his head. "I was just playing. It was all make believe. It was just a game!"

"Just kill him already!" someone behind Jack shouted. "Don't let the monster speak any more lies!"

"I was just pretending! None of it was real!"

"Hang him!"

"Leave me alone! Please!"

"Witch!"

"Please!"

"Monster!"

The white-wigged man turned his eyes from Trii, nodding his head at a burly man behind the boy. The man nodded his head back in return and stepped closer.

Trii continued to cry as he tugged fruitlessly at his restraints. "Please stop! I was just playing! I'm not a witch! I am not a monster!"

"Silence him!" The crowd cheered in agreement as the burly man placed the heel of his boot on the platform under Trii.

"No!" Jack shouted. At the sound of his voice, Trii's head shot up, his wide eyes locking with Jack's.

"Who-" Trii was cut off as his foothold was kicked out from under him.

Jack rushed towards the falling body as the noose tightened. The colors of the world faded away into tones of grey and fell into a veil of silence.

Time stood still as soon as Jack had his arms wrapped around the other's still form.

"Trii?" Jack whispered as he gently removed the tight noose away from the boy's bruised neck. He lowered him to the ground and lightly slapped his face in an attempt to get the glaze off of his still-open eyes. "Trii? Please wake up. Please."

Trii did not react. He didn't even breathe.

The world went dark as the moon appeared, shining its bright light down upon the pair. Its beam focused on Trii in particular, his appearance shifting to one more familiar to Jack. Trii's dull, unseeing eyes continued to stare up at the ball of light even after his transformation to Trii Korteet was finished.

A small, white object floated down to them, traveling on the light.

"Wake, my child," a soothing voice said, seeming to come from everyone at once.

Jack suddenly felt a force jerking him back away from him as the surroundings began to fade away.

"Wait!" Jack shouted, fighting back fruitlessly.

"Rise, Spirit of Halloween. Awaken, Guardian of-"

As Ribcage's bone landed lightly on his still chest, Trii's suddenly jerked into life, gasping for breath as everything faded from Jack's sight once again.

Now that I am on break, I will be trying to update again within the next few days. At the earliest, I might be able to update on Sunday, depending on what happens with my family until then. Hope everyone is enjoying this look into how I see the Spirit of Halloween coming to be.