Just Breath

You cant escape your fears by running away, you carry them with you. Forever and always, until you gain the courage to face your monsters resting across your shoulders. Remembering your strength to face them, overcome your greatest and most daunting fears, trials, hideous monsters, creates a hero. When you imagine a hero, you would never picture a first degree murderer. A teenager recovering from a fetal injury sustained while running away from the gallows. You imagine a ridiculously charming man carrying the women he rescued from a disastrous situation. This is what is expected in novels, books, movies, plots, directed in plays, the world of art is pure raw emotions. Born through the minds of dreamers, hearts of creators. Yet this story will not have a planned path. For life is never black and white, planned nor secured. Constantly changing as the clouds form different designs in the endless sky above. A beautiful movement, unpredictable flames burning, leaving as mesmerizing wisps of smoke.

"How are you feeling today?" Jaime asked. When silence became his deafening response, his frustrations spiked. "Burnlee?" He knocked on the door. "Burnlee?" He yelled, his anger beginning to morph into cold fear.

"Relax! Everything is fine! For the thousandth time I am perfectly fine! I want to walk, or at least stand without you,..."

"What? Caring? Have you never experienced the idea of ever having someone care about you!" His voice softened. "You have never had someone,.... care about you?" He picked her up and placed her in his lap. Silently he began to trace designs across her arms.

"Of course I have!" I screamed, my voice cracking across the lie. Memories from my past surrounding my tormented heart.

"Okay, I'm sorry, of course." His hands ran through her long, silky hair. "Of course you have." Tears poured over as two steady, silent streams spilling across his shirt.

"I have been loved! I was cared for! I was!" I screamed till my lungs burned. Frustrated with the unfairness and cruelty of life.

"Let it out, just let yourself break so I can piece you back together again." He whispered, brushing his lips across my cheek.

"She left, she left, she left!" I screamed, breaking, thrashing my legs, tearing his soaked shirt from his perfectly sculpted chest. "I was loved, till she left me." I breathed, letting myself fall into his arms.

"Say nothing, just let me hold you."

We laid together in silence for several hours. Time passing without being felt or recognized.

"Have you ever tasted Ravnenwoods mountain spring waters?" He asked, gently messaging her shoulders. The water tastes like smooth silk across your lips. The townspeople say it has reviving, healing properties." He chuckled, "Of course, I would vouch otherwise. But the taste, is unlike anything you have ever tried before." He smiled, holding her closer.

She listened to his calming voice till her eyes fluttered close. Till her pain began to fade back into her past, no longer her present. His hands wondered across her skin as lines circling a map. She wanted to get lost in his words, his gorgeous eyes, his flawless body. He was sarcastic yet not cruel, charming without ever knowing it. His smile beckoned her ever closer,... She opened her lips to speak yet he placed his hand over her mouth.

"Don't say anything. Just listen", he whispered. "Do you hear that?"

"Your annoying voice disrupting my concentration?" She grinned.

"My heartbeat. Can you listen for five seconds?" He questioned sternly.

I twisted on my side, pinning his wrists against the wall. "I can do more then listen," I breathed.

"Oh really?"

"Wouldn't you love to find out?" My lips brushing over his. Quickly I pushed away, flipping onto my back across the bed. I closed my eyes, stopping myself before losing control.

His smile threatened to break my ever weakening barriers. He flopped down next to me, face down, "Maybe in your dreams," he mumbled.  I giggled tossing his pillow at him, hard.

"Hey now!" He moaned into the blankets.

"Leave so I can get some sleep. I'm going to hike to your springs in the morning."

He snatched my pillow and rolled onto his side. "This is my bed, I'm not going anywhere."

"Whatever, stay on your side."

"Technically, I have both sides." He whispered mischievously, closing his eyes.

"Not anymore." I growled teasingly. Ready to kick him over the edge, I noticed he had already fallen asleep. I didn't have the heart to wake him up. "Goodnight," I whispered, gently kissing his forehead so as not to wake him. 

In the morning, I awakened tangled in his arms. I removed his hands, slid my leg out from underneath his, slowly, softly, as though escaping a wounded animal. I left the room before he awoke, packing everything necessary for the journey ahead.