Chapter Three

"For people who disappoint him, he's certainly trusting us with an important job," Porthos said under his breath, as the four musketeers waited in the palace for the king's arrival. Tréville stood nearby.

"His Majesty is forever giving second chances," Aramis quipped.

"Or maybe he trusts others even less than us to get the job done," Athos countered.

Aramis looked to his right at d'Artagnan. "You're very quiet," he observed. The Gascon was standing stock still, staring straight ahead. "Are you unwell, d'Artagnan?"

"No," d'Artagnan answered shortly. In truth, he was simmering, remembering the rebuke of King Louis in this very room less than twenty-four hours ago. It was humiliating to the proud young man, and he didn't know how he'd react when he saw the monarch again. "I just want to get started."

"Steady, boy," Athos said from his other side, his voice low. D'Artagnan knew that somehow, Athos understood exactly what was going on in his head. He'd still said nothing about his encounter with Rochefort this morning; he didn't know how to explain that the question of how he'd killed one man with such ferocity but could not bring himself to slay another at the order of the King was one that troubled not only the palace, but also himself.

He was spared further contemplation when the King swept into the room, accompanied by Rochefort, several servants and courtiers, and another man whom they all presumed to be Baudin. They bowed low.

"This is Antoine Baudin," the King confirmed, sweeping his hand toward the finely dressed man beside him. "Captain Tréville, I hope you have explained to your musketeers the importance of this mission going exactly as planned."

"Of course, Sire. Your Majesty formed the musketeer regiment to protect yourself and your interests," Tréville nodded.

"I know what I did, Tréville," King Louis said with only a hint of disdain, and a larger portion of public mockery. "Lately I'm only surprised that you and your soldiers know it."

D'Artagnan swallowed hard.

"There is nothing more important to your musketeers than your safety, Sire," Tréville replied.

"Good," the King said. He turned to his friend as he walked down the line of soldiers before him. "Antoine, these musketeers are passionate, though occasionally misdirected. I have no doubts about their military prowess and their ability to protect you from Protestant threats. The Huguenots can hardly be as frightening as a musketeer with a romantic sense of honor."

This last sentence he directed at the Gascon, and d'Artagnan took in and let out a breath and glanced quickly at Rochefort standing nearby before dropping his eyes. He felt his friends on either side of him shift ever so slightly, as though to strengthen him somehow, and he remained quiet.

"I believe that you would only dispatch me with the best, Your Majesty," Baudin said. He let his eyes travel down the line of men entrusted with his safety. "Any romantic notions will certainly disappear the moment someone draws a sword from his scabbard with an intent that is less honorable than their own."

Louis smiled broadly. "My sensible friend," he nodded. He turned fully to Baudin and grasped his hands, smiling warmly. "It is one of the reasons I accepted your offer to be the man to take on this important mission. Your sensibilities and your gentle nature will make you a fine ambassador with the Huguenots and help bring them into line; and your strength and prowess as a soldier and a leader will make you a hero of France."

Baudin nodded, returning the smile. "I simply serve Your Majesty," he replied. "I cannot accept credit for anything but loving you as I would my own brother. I will conduct the King's business with honor."