chapter 2

My mother stepped in the room and sat down in the chair next to me. "Mom, go home, I'll be fine, don't worry about me."

She cares so much, I hate to disappoint her, she's too good for me. "Why would I go home Brendan? So you can pop more pain killers and smoke more weed?! I did my best to raise up in and this is what you do in return?! How dare you!" Her screaming echoed in my head. "I'm sorry mom, do you know how hard I've tried to quit?! But every time I try, I start to miss the euphoria that getting high gives me!" she looked shocked that I yelled at her, and I instantly regretted it, she's such a fragile woman, and I hate to hurt her feelings. After all she's been there for me since my father left. She grabbed her purse, slowly stood up looked me in the eyes and said "I hope you get help, but I can't be around you right now, please, don't call me unless it's an emergancy" she left and shut the door slowly behind her. I sat there speechless, I didn't know what to say, or what to do. I layed my head down on the soft pillow and closed my eyes. A few minutes passed and a knock at the door startled me. "Come in" I said groaning. "Hi, I brought you a turkey sandwich if you're hungry, do you want anything to drink? We have water, sprite, coke, Pepsi" she set the plate down on the tray in front of me. "Um, I-I guess I'll have a bottle of water if you don't mind" she smiled "Of course I don't mind, there is a button on the side of your bed. Push it if you need me" She gave a small smile then left. I sat up slowly and began to pop my neck and back. I grabbed the turkey sandwhich, which consisted of two slices of turkey, a glob mayo, and bread. I took a small bite and began to chew, not half bad to be honest. I swallowed what was in my mouth and as I took a bigger bite, the door opened. It was the same nurse with a bottle of water. "Sorry it took so long" I quickly chewed and swallowed my food to reply to her. "Its no problem, thank you so much" she set the bottle of water down next to me. "Do you need anything else? A warm blanket, another pillow?" "No, thank you, I'm good" I smiled at her and she smiled back, got up and left, shutting the door behind her. I took the last few bites of my sandwich, drank my water and fell back to sleep.