Chapter 1

Yes! I got it. I finally got it. A place of my own, only 15 minutes away by car to my workplace. I was first employed there a year ago as a secretary, right after finishing university, majoring in literature. I was living with my parents at the family home along side my brother, Darren. Graduating uni, I expected so much more. I expected freedom - like my older sister, Carol. The moment she graduated, she found a well paying job and everything seemed to fall into place. It was pretty easy for her. Everything is. She studied law, quickly got a job as a lawyer, met her drop-dead-gorgeous husband in school, got married and now has a healthy daughter Marissa, all in an upstate New York penthouse. She's got it all going for her - bright green eyes, dark hair, olive skin...great boobs, nice ass. All next to her amazing gift of mind. 

        It took me a little more than an entire year to finally get my pale skinned, brown haired butt a place of my own. Now that I have, I think it's quite the find, if I can say so myself. It's an apartment, not ghetto but not the best. It's decent. At least now, I don't have to wake up hours earlier to beat early morning traffic on top of the hour long drive. It isn't my ideal job, but being a literature graduate doesn't leave many options, so the secretary life awaited me. And along with that secretary life, came Joshua - my manager and my boyfriend. Ugh. I have this overwhelming attraction to him. We clicked immediately. I can still remember my first day of work. Our eyes locked; brown to blue. His blonde hair was set perfectly. He smelled of sweet cologne and looked amazing in that suit and tie he wears everyday. So professional. So seductive. Yes, I know there's plenty of skeptism about relationships in professional enviroments. I've heard it countless times, over and over again from Yolanda, my best friend and my part time, unpaid therapist. The issue personally doesn't bother me. Despite the fact that there's a 'no dating' policy in our workplace, Joshua and I keep our dating under covers. Oh yeah, he can be a bad boy sometimes. I love it. 

        I squeal with joy. I still can't believe I finally found the apartment I was looking for! I immediately put down my phone and the newspaper, that has multiple circles and x's drawn on and around ads. Just as I commence my endeavor to cram as much crap into my suitcases as possible, my phone buzzes. I reach for it; it's Joshua. My heart swells with delight as the picture of the two of us in front of a penthouse skyline appears. I answer.

          "Babe!" I grin into the phone. 

          "You seem in a good mood today, Lydia." he observes, as he always does. Smart man, he is. "You found an apartment, didn't you?"

          "How did you know?" I squeal. 

          "It's been all you've been talking about. So where is it?" 

            "1012 Palace St. Unit #17" I proudly read off the paper. 

            "Is it nice?" he inquires.

         "It's great, only 15 minutes away from the office. 9th floor, corner unit. It's nice but modest, considering I'll be there on my own. Oh, and big windows to let some light in. Modern, too." Definitely, the perfect place.  

           There's a moment of pause. "Are you sure you want to live there?" He sounds uneasy. I can already sense another lecture coming. 

            "Why wouldn't I? It's a great find. I checked it out last weekend and negotiated with the tenant advisor. He just called and gave me a good price - I can't pass it up, Josh." 

           "I know, I know. But are you sure you don't want to live with me? You're going to be there alone. You're a woman. You're my woman. Big windows aren't exactly the brightest of news to me." He's almost admonishing me. He can be protective, and at times it's sweet; but other times, a little suffocating. I can hardly count how many times he's offered me to move in with him. I just wish he'd get that I want this for myself.