The Story of Us

March 03, 2017

They walked outside the building where her birthday party was being held, away from people's intruding eyes and ears. If there was one thing they both hated, it was the unwelcome attention of people around them every single time they were together.

"Ano ba kasing gusto mong mangyari?" Maine asked straightforwardly once they were out of everyone's earshot. They were already at the parking lot, behind some cars so they were sort of hidden from others' view. It was probably the only kind of privacy they can achieve given the setting.

Alden has been giving her looks all throughout the night and it finally got to her nerves. She had to know what he was getting at with those looks he kept on throwing her way. Otherwise, she would lose her mind.

If she hadn't already.

"You've been avoiding me," he said gently, but his tone was matter-of-fact. "Ngayon lang tayo nagkaharap talaga. Mag-usap tayo, Meng, please."

She raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms over her chest as if to protect herself. She wasn't sure if she liked where their conversation was going so she decided to cut it short once and for all. "Para saan pa?"

"Ano kasi-"

She interfered with him quickly. "Please go straight to the point because I have visitors inside the building whom I have to entertain. Hindi lang ikaw ang bisita ko." It was all an act that Maine was trying to put up; a strong facade that she was trying to embody because she didn't want to show Alden that he still made her feel weak. Maine didn't want RJ to know that he still had the same effect on her the way he did before.

RJ breathed deep, closed his eyes for a brief moment before launching onto a garbled speech. "My God, Maine. I'm-I'm sorry. Sa lahat. I miss you. Please take me back, please." He was practically begging already but he no longer gave a damn. "Maramdaman ko lang na may chance na tanggapin mo ulit ako . . . Kahit katiting na pagkakataon lang-konting pag-asa na maibalik tayo sa dati, I'd take it. I'd take it in a heartbeat. Just - just please."

There was nothing except for their harsh breaths that could be heard in the almost-empty parking lot. It was way past midnight, an hour where all emotions were raw and real, recklessly being spilled out onto the open space; heedless of how it would destroy the two of them.

Neither RJ nor Maine knew how to put a stop to the racing avalanche of their ardent feelings.

"Please. Stop pushing me away."

By this point, Alden's voice was already breaking from how hard he was trying to keep himself from crying. He just wanted her back. It's been months since they 'broke up', and still, each day that he woke up to was no better than the previous ones. His everyday played like one of those routines he was comfortable with.

Except this one was different. This one was a horrible, heart-breaking routine.

Through her tears, she shook her head violently. "No," she pronounced, taking a step back from him when he reached a hand out to touch her. RJ's heart sunk a little bit at her action. She used to love it when he holds her hand, but now it just seemed like she was grossed out by the thought of touching him. "How can you possibly ask that of me, kung ikaw mismo ay ginawa mo 'yun noon? You pushed me away so easily."

"I didn't-Maine, that wasn't what I was meaning to do!"

"Itinulak mo ako palayo, Richard. You knew what I wanted and I thought we were on the same page but then-"