Chapter Four

I try calling Cassidy back, but not even getting her voicemail. I sigh and stop for now, and focus on the road. My phone rings, and I answer it not looking at the caller ID, hoping it will be Cassidy.

"Howdy." I answer.

"Oh, clam it Brice. You better be on your way to get money because if the bills that Cassidy has aren't payed off soon, she's selling. She'll be moving in with old man Jack and his woman. I mean it Brice, or I'll pay for it all. And if she does sell, I'm useing your money to buy the place." Carter snaps through the phone. I frown at his tone and at what he's suggesting.

"She plans on selling?" I ask in disbelief.

"Yes, I was kinda eavesdropping on her phone call with Jack. And the conversation in the diner. She hasn't told the twins yet." He replies his tone full of helplessness. I sigh loudly taking a turn toward the airport.

"I was already planning on putting money in it. Austin came to me and told me I ought to since I have the money and they don't. He also explain most of what happened 'round there. I think there is more to it, but..." I drift off. I pull into the parking lot. And continue, "I also suggested it to Cassidy, but she said no. I still plan to do it, but I was thinking fundraiser, 'cause I want to try to become her friend again."

"Of course she said no you idiot. And do you really want to become her friend or kiss her again, only to break her heart?" He growls through the phone. I put my cowboy hat on ignoring him and get out of the truck. "Don't ignore me Brice!" Carter shouts through the phone.

"I didn't break her heart!" I exclaim loudly, shaking trying to contain myself, walking into the airport to wait for Colton.

"As if you know! Because you were there right Brice?! You did break her heart! You shattered it! We leave in a month Brice! Don't get close to her just to break her heart again!" He snarls at me.

"Bye Carter." I say and hang up able to listen to him anymore. I pace back and forth getting irritated glances from people. Humph. They can suck it up.

******************************************************************************************

I look up from my pacing when I hear crying. I see a ten year old crying and looking around frantically. I stop pacing and walk over to the little girl. I bend down in front of her.

"What's the matter little one?" I ask looking around for some parents.

"Father left me here! He said he couldn't deal with me anymore! He told me he hated me!" She wails. I pick her up and stand up. I walk over to one of the police officers with her in my arms.

"Can I talk to you in an office sir?" I ask not wanting to reveal myself in front of so many people. He looks at me and nods. I follow him through the crowded airport. The little girl clings to me tightly.

"What's your name princess?" I ask gently.

"Amber." She mutters into my shirt.

"That's a gorgeous name there. Just like you." I give her a small smile when she looks at me. She smiles back. I use one of my hands to wipe the tears from her face. She flinches when I touch her, but doesn't protest.

"Thank you mister." She sighs with small smile. The police officer closes the door behind us when we reach an office. I look at the window. The blinds are open. I walk over and close them partly. The police officer watches me suspiciously. I take my hat off and look at him. His eyes narrow, then widen with recognition.

He holds out his hand which I shake with my empty hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you Mr. James." I nod in acknowledgment.

"I found little Amber here. She says her father left her behind." I inform him. He looks at the little girl and smiles kindly.