Chapter 2

J:

I knew I was early, it wasn't on purpose I'm early to everything because I hate hate hate being late. Alec sent me the address to a rented space their band had where they kept their instruments, mics, etc. Alec and I come from a rich family, a family with money, a family that has had money forever, a family I'm trying to distance myself from. I don't want to distance myself from Alec of course, but my parent's yes, once I'm done with school my parents are out of my life. So yes the room was paid for by Alec's parents.

I walked into the building and took the elevator up to the third floor. As I walked down the hall I could hear someone one singing. Carefully I opened the door to find Zeke singing by the piano in the back of the room.

(If I Could Fly by One Direction)

His voice was so pure and the lyrics were so emotional, I even found tears in my eyes as he sang. His eyes were glossy, he didn't even notice me enter the room and walk towards the piano as he sang. He didn't sing as if it was just a song to him, it meant something to him, his voice faltered a bit as he sang the lines, I hope that you don't run from me. I quickly picked up the lines from the song and sang a harmony part to end the song. He looked up into my eyes, finishing the last line of the song by himself. I couldn't tell what he was feeling, but the expression on his face was confused. I decided to break the silence, "Do you always sing sad songs by yourself?" avoiding my question he asked, "How did you know that song? I wrote it and I know Alec has never heard it. We've never played it before."

"I've always been able to kind of just pick up lyrics and rhythms and stuff like that," I looked away a little embarrassed that I interrupted his song in the first place, "But I love the song, you should it play it at your shows." He shook his head a little and smiled, "It's not really our type of sound and the guys would for sure make fun of me for it."

"But it's so good! Don't get caught up in whatever "sound" you have you can do whatever you want and I could tell that song meant something to you and that's why people love live music because it's so real and the emotions are so real," he started laughing a little and I was laughing then laughing too, "Stop it I'm serious, that was a really great song."

"Thank you." There was another moment of silence before Zeke started talking again, "So you like music just as much as your cousin?"

"For sure more than Alec, don't tell him I said that," Zeke smiled, "I've always loved music and lyrics and just all of it. Me and Alec would play together when we were younger and when I was going into my sophomore year, that summer I went to this music camp and there I just fell more in love with all of it. I met some amazing musicians and they were all older than me, but super super encouraging to me, to make sure I kept playing. What about you?"

"What do I like about music?" I nodded, "Umm I think it's that moment when it's just you singing or just you and the band paying, you kind of forget everything else, but you know what you are singing and that's all that matters in that moment."

Before I could ask another question Alec, Mark, Ryan, and Liz walked in, both Alec and Liz giving me a suggestive look. I walked away from the piano and sat down on one of the couches.

"So are we going to get this practice started," Alec said to Zeke.

"Yeah I'll grab my guitar." Mark smiled at me before grabbing his own guitar.

"Now before we start, Jess I have known you forever so... if we really do suck and you think something should be done differently just say so," Alec has always trusted me so much, "and you guys I trust Jess's opinion, so don't get all bitchy with her because she's a better musician than all of us."