What Now?

Fabula

Our mother was stolen from us. She was the leader of our coven, one of the strongest witches around. Mere townspeople were able to take her down.

Luckily Andromeda and I were able to make it out alive. Being the next in line for the throne, we will lead the coven. Andromeda is far more ready than I am to take the next step. She has prepared to take her spot as Queen for years. I have faith that she will succeed. I will help her the best I can but it may not be enough.

I am not that strong. Andromeda's powers are much greater than my own. I feel inferior to those around me.

Despite my fears, I must take responsibility. It is what my mother would have wanted.

"Fabula" my sister calls. "Yes Andromeda?" comes my reply.

"Are you ready? We must leave for the coronation." she says. I merely nod. I lift my dress up off the floor and follow Andromeda out, and into the corridor.

*

As Andromeda prepares to take her place as Queen, I weep silently in the background. My silent tears go unnoticed by the others. The preparation room is too chaotic for anyone to notice a broken girl in the background.

Andromeda is fitted in a beautiful gown, and jewels. She has to look her best in front of our people. She turns her head away from the girls assisting her prepare, for a moment. Her eyes land on me. I'm surprised it took my sister this long to notice my tears. Andromeda has always been able to sense my distress. She shoos the young attendants away from her before walking towards me.

"What is wrong Fabula?"

"Our mother was murdered. She is gone and I can't just move on. I need her Andromeda. We need her with us. Our clan is not complete without our Queen." 

"Listen to me. I will be the new Queen. Mother would want us to move on. We can't stop living because we lost someone we love. We need to live for her. We need to keep the clan safe. I need you to help me. Mother would want you to smile. She wouldn't want you to cry, so dry up those tears and prepare to face our people."

Andromeda has always known how to make me feel better. She's right. I need to move on and protect everyone else. I will smile again, if not for myself, I will do it for Andromeda.

*

The coronation seems to be going smoothly until on of the guards bursts in the door.

"My Queen, the west gate is destroyed. The humans are attacking! Seven soldiers are already dead. We need help!"

Our perfect day has been destroyed by same species that murdered our mother. Andromeda looks at me expectantly before nodding. We both rush out the door, following the guard.