Burn the Witch

Andromeda

"Mother!"I scream at the top of my lungs. A bulky man is dragging my mother away. They can't take her away from me. I know what is happening, a witch trial.

We trail behind the two, our mother never leaving our sight. There isn't much we can do at this point. Our mother is in the hands of the townsfolk.

Fabula grabs my hand. We have always been close, my sister and I. She seeks comfort in me, and I squeeze her hand reassuringly. We will get through this together. We have to.

We edge closer to Anozira, moments away from watching our mother suffer. The closer I get, the faster my heart beats. This can't be happening. We were so careful. We tried to stay hidden. Yet here we stand about to watch our mother die, and we can do nothing about it.

They tie her to a stake. Townspeople cheer around me. How is this a good thing? My mother is about to die.

"Kalkin, good job. You brought another filthy witch in." A man says from in the crowd. I glare at him. He thinks this is good? My mother is facing death and Kalkin deserves praise?

We did nothin wrong. Our coven, Tabori, has no intentions of harming anyone. We love being close to nature, and magic. We were born into this practice. This is our heritage, yet they hate us. We are not evil. Our kind if feared though. We will never be accepted so we hide away.

"Andromeda! Fabula! I love you! Never forget that!" My mother screams.

"Wakanda Samira of Anozira, you have been charged of bewitchment. What do you plead?" Orion, the mayor called out. "I plead guilty. I feel no shame in being a witch. I am proud to be one." my mother says confidently. What else could she say? They would find her guilty anyway.

"Burn the witch!" the townspeople chant, and my heart sinks. Its happening.

They set the stake aflame, my mother burning with it. Fabula and I cling to each other, looking away from the awful sight. I glance one last time at my mother.

She smiles at me. Through all the pain she tries to make me feel better. Her smile soon turns into a grimace as the pain rushes through her. She screams in agony, thrashing about, and wailing uncontrollably. Soon she becomes still and what was left of my dear mother is gone.