Brain Dead

Alexis P.O.V.

The truck pulls up to Chicago Med and Uncle Matt and I run in. My dad is gone and all I need right now is for my mom and Jake to pull through. Uncle Matt goes and finds Dr. Halstead.

"Hey Matt" Dr. Halstead says

"Hey Will do you know where a woman named Christie Casey is she's about 38." Uncle Matt asks

"Oh yes, and her son Jake Casey?"

Uncle Matt nods

"They are both in surgery. We are trying to clear up their lungs.

Right then and their I lost it. I knew I was going to lose them and I just couldn't. How could this happen to me. How come I wasn't home. All these thoughts were flowing through my mind and I couldn't stop them.

A few hours later...

"Matthew Casey" a nurse calls

"Yes?" Uncle Matt stands with concern

"Can we go somewhere else I little private?"

He looks at me for my consent and I nod with a tear.

They walk into a near by bay.
___________________________
Matt's P.O.V.

The nurse takes me into a near by bay and sits me down on the bed.

"Listen Mr. Casey" she says in a low voice

"We lost Jake in surgery, it was just to late. The doctors tried but their was nothing we can do."

I just bow my head and try to hold back the tears.

"And what about my sister, Christie?" I say with a lump in my throat.

"Her brain was oxygen deprived and is now brain dead. We have her on life support right now we just need you to give us the word." the nurse explains

"And what are the chances of her recovering?" I ask waiting for some good news.

"Sir, your sister is brain dead. I hate to say it but their is no recovery from this. The only reason we keep on life support is for legal purposes." The nurse says trying to sound a little comforting.

"If it was up to me, I would honestly let her stop suffering and let her peacefully go to be with her husband and son. So its up to you."

"Can you give me a minute, I want to talk to my niece about it."

I walk out into the waiting room and I see Gabby trying to comfort Alexis. I signal them to come over.

"Lex look at me I need you to be strong. They lost Jake in surgery. It was just to late."

I could feel my heart drop to my stomach as I watch her turn and cry into Gabby's chest.

After a couple minutes we finally got her to calm down.

"Wha-what about mo-mo-mom?" Lex tries to say

I take a long deep breathe

" She's brain dead, they have her on life support they just need to know when we are ready."

She loses it again this time into my chest. There I start crying.

After about 20 minutes...

"C-can I see her f-first?"

"Yea... yes"

I go inform the nurse and she leads us to Christie.

Alexis and I say our goodbyes and then the nurse turned off the machines.

Then she was gone.