Chapter V: The Second Traveler

"Well," Erik said, "maybe we should look inside--"

"Erik! We talked about this, buddy," Amanda said as condescendingly as she could. "I want Victor to LIVE. Understand, pal?"

He shut up, just like Amanda wished everyone would. Except for right now. "Who else? Rebecca? You come up with some passable stuff... occasionally."

Not understanding the insult, Rebecca went on, unfazed. "Finally, some appreciation. Well, I think we should try to communicate with him."

"Okay," Amanda said, surprised at the sudden burst of mediocrity. "Go on."

"We're going to need a Ouija board. Does anyone have one?"

Amanda's spirits sank. "He's not in the spirit realm, Rebecca. It's a calculator. Come on."

"But they could be, like, connected, and--"

"No. You see, math is REAL."

"What about a multiplication table?" Timothy asked.

"Hey, yeah! And what would we use as the ... the pointer... thing?"

"Ugh, okay, shut up. The smart people are as stupid as the morons apparently, so I'm gonna have to think this through myself."

"Why didn't you ask me?" Mrs. McSalls asked. "I can come up with... something... maybe."

"You'd just call the police," Amanda said.

"Well, it's a good idea," she retorted.

"Do you have anything else to offer before I disown you forever?"

"Yeesh! Woah, jeez! All right. Uhm... is there, like, an Etch-e-Sketch function on there?"

"What!?" Amanda demanded. "What do you expect to accomplish with that!?"

"We could... draw him, and he might, you know... pop back out."

Amanda just stared at her until she mumbled, "I'll just... sit at my desk and... stop talking."

"What if," said the usually silent Dennis, "you went in after him?"

"Hushins?" Amanda asked, referring to Dennis' last name, 'Hutchins,' and infusing it with his quiet nature. "You don't usually give good ideas. Or bad ones, i guess." She reached for Mrs. McSalls' candy that she kept in her desk, and threw a taffy at his head, striking him on the nose. "Good for you."

He meowed in pain, as he usually did. Nobody even looked at him when he did it; it was a regular occurrence.

When she was done terrorizing the other students (and one adult), she seriously considered Hushins' suggestion. "Well, I don't see any other way. It's a dangerous idea, and this is probably the dumbest thing I've ever done, but..." She lifted the calculator off the desk, pressed a random number, and divided it by zero...