Chapter Twenty Two-"Well, Here We Are"

~Moriarty~

I gently stroked Sherlock's hand, the annoying sounds of beeping ringing in my ears. He had been asleep for seven hours now. Seven hours, fourteen minutes and five seconds...six seconds...seven seconds. I was so tired. I immediately felt a pang of guilt for complaining about my sleeping patterns when Sherlock was lying unconscious next to me after being hit by a lorry. I think he wins.

I sighed, just staring at his face, looking beautiful as always. Devastatingly beautiful. I was playing with his hand now, tracing his fingers with mine.

When I looked at his sleeping face again, my eyes were desperate to cry. I was always good at handling my emotions but this was different.

I missed him even though he was laying right in front of me. I just missed his sarcasm and intelligence. My body forced me to kiss him. His lips felt dead and they didn't kiss me back like they always did. I sat back down and sighed heavily, his hand still firmly gripped in mine.

I felt his hand suddenly move in the slightest way and my eyes darted towards his face hopefully. He was awake.

It took him a few seconds to acknowledge where he was, what the hell happened and then he noticed me and a genuine smile made its way onto his face.

I didn't even hesitate to kiss him again, my hands gently holding his face against mine. It felt real this time because he was kissing me back. I sat back down, not once letting go of his hand, clinging onto it as if I was never going to let him get hurt ever again which was,in fact, my intention.

"Are you angry with me?" was the first thing that Sherlock asked.

I stared at him with confusion.

"When I snapped at you on the phone", Sherlock explained, looking guilty, "Sorry".

"It's ridiculous that you'd even think that I'm mad at you", I said, "Of course I'm not. You just got hit by a lorry! I was just praying that you wouldn't be dead, I don't even remember what you said".

I paused for a few seconds, staring down at our interlaced hands.

"I didn't even...realise how...serious you were...being", I sniffed, finding it hard to explain, "But then, before I could even think about it, all I heard was a massive crash and then the line cut off".

"How did you know where to come?" Sherlock asked.

"It's stupid", I shrugged.

Sherlock gave me a look that urged me to say.

"I went to every hospital I could find and asked for your name", I admitted, "If they said they didn't know of a Sherlock Holmes, I checked every room and then I came across the fourth hospital and...well, here we are".

"You really do care", Sherlock said slowly, "I mean, I knew you cared but I never thought it was this much".

"Well, you know", I murmured, not really knowing what else to say.

"Jim?" Sherlock asked.

I looked at him expectantly.

"I-" Sherlock paused, scratching his hair nervously but he stopped when his eyes landed on the door behind me and he smiled.

I looked behind me to see what he was looking at. John...

He came rushing in and he hugged Sherlock tightly. I sat there awkwardly, not even realising how much I was glaring at John. But they were too caught up in talking to notice me. I wasn't really listening because I was too deep in though but I could here the murmurs of them laughing and being happy.

Not once did Sherlock even notice me standing up and leaving. But I did. I shut the door quietly, walking through the corridors of the hospital and outside into the night. I looked at my phone and it was 1:00AM. It was pitch black for a while until the street lamps came into sight.

I walked past houses with my hands in my pockets, staring at the concrete somewhat sadly for no reason, hearing people laughing from the insides of people homes.