Chapter 1: The Hangover

A stupid dove just hit the glass window, startling me up from the bed.

I must've been sleeping for about..... eh, 5 hours?

The hangover isn't really having mercy on me. I shouldn't have drank that whole Vodka! I thought as I looked at the transparent bottle lying by my side. Did I really peel the label off from it?

My breath smells like shit. Yuck. And the number of cigarette buds lying around the floor is more than the number of times I'd light a smoke a week. Fuck.

The regret grew larger when I realized that the headache isn't the kind of one I get during the usual hangovers. The back of my head hurts, as if somebody threw a brick straight to my medulla oblongata.

I must've hit my head when I passed out and fell down on the floor. Damn!

I washed my face and stared at myself. The closet mirror is always crystal clean. Just the way I like it.

I could see the table clock on the other side of the room in the mirror. I was always good at reading letters and numbers from the mirror view. Just a gift everyone in our family has.

Whenever there was a family meeting, there's this game we used to play:

The one who reads out the most number of words from the book wins. But you've to read using a mirror, while somebody else's holding the book. Ryan and Kelly were the ones who'd always win.

Pretty stupid, right? I know, I know.

The clock ticked 7:23AM.

Wait, 7:23? WTF? I was supposed to pick mom up from her sister's at 7. Oh-Ow!

I picked up the phone which was lying on the floor and dialled my mom's number as I rehearsed what I was going to say.

'Sorry mom, I'm really sorry, I slept off. I'll be there in 10 minutes?'

I worked on the tone and the pitch almost thrice and the phone was still ringing. And just when I thought she wasn't gonna pick up... She did.

"Hello, who's this?"

Wait, that isn't her. That's not my mom's voice. In fact, it sounds like a guy who just ate a whole watermelon.

I checked the phone screen just to find how stupid I was to miss type her number. Instead of 51, I pressed the keys 8 and 1. 81!

"Sorry, wrong number. Neva mind."
I said as I hit the red button on the screen with a face palm meanwhile.

I'm stupid, I'm careless.

Maybe calling her up isn't really a good idea at all. She's wise enough to find a cab to that meeting she was talking about.

I grabbed the jar of water and poured some into my mouth like I hadn't drank water for 4 days. And yes, my throat was dry as a dessert.

Well, it wasn't long before I recalled the question mark which was fired at me. The same question the wrong number guy with the weird voice asked me.

"Who's this?"

Bam, bam, dhuk, bam. The sound of the door knock was loud enough to distract me from my thoughts. Knock knock. Okay, the second round of knocks were decent.

"Nick, goddammit. Open the door for Christ's sake."
It was my elder brother Henry and he sure sounded angry.

And I am Nick. Nicolas Anderson.