Chapter 4

"I would like to see Jericho Moretti, please." My hands shake and I bob my leg up and down nervously as the secretary gives me a small look of disbelief.

"Name?" she asks simply.

"Holland Alden."

"I'm sorry, but subject AB-19 is too dangerous to be seen." My lips twitch up into a grin but I quickly clear my throat and put on a stern expression.

"I can assure you he is not a threat to me," I speak confidently. I inter-lock my hands and give the lady a reassuring smile.

"I cannot go against written laws, Ms. Alden. Please understand that," the secretary snaps, glaring up at me slightly. I press my lips together into a thin line and nod, turning around as my cheeks flush with anger. But I can.

I throw my body around and run to where guards are blocking the entrance to the cells with a small shout, ramming the shorter lady with my shoulder. She is knocked to the ground and I step on her hand as I take off through the hall ahead, automatic lights turning on as I continue sprinting. My breath becomes harder as I continue and my legs shake so much I have to grab onto the railing next to me.

Eventually I reach a tall metal door and I yank on the knob. When it doesn't open I throw my shoulder into it but I bounce off and slam into the floor. Pulsing pain shoots through the right side of my body and my breath is knocked out of my body. I turn over on the floor and gasp for air, my lungs expanding uncomfortably as they burn so much I have to cough.

Feet slam on the ground and I try to get up but wince when I fall down. I stare up helplessly at the guard while he gives me a small smirk. Bending down, he whispers, "This won't hurt much." A sharp prick stabs my stomach right next to my bellybutton, and soon enough my eyes flutter clothes and my breathing slows.

Headache. The back of my head throbs and I groan, cracking my eyes open. "She's awake!" my mom shouts and I whimper, pushing my head further back into the pillow until my neck pangs. A door opens with a small screech. The light pitter-patter of shoes fills the silent room until the stop next to me. Slowly I open my eyes again.

"How are you feeling?" the doctor asks, standing over me while shining a light into my eyes. Grimacing, I respond with an "I've been better." She nods, writing down on my hospital record. "Are you experiencing any nausea, blurriness, ringing in your ears, or hallucinations?" I shake my head while staring up at her, a small blue-ish dot appearing in front of my eyes because of the light. She lets a small sound out of her throat and I furrow my eyebrows.

"She seems fine and stable, so I will head out and review the check-up test results. Press the red button next to the bed if you need anything." My mom nods with a slight unsureness. The doctor gives a small smile before walking out, her heels clacking as she does so.

"Why am I here?" is the first question I ask.

"You were given a shot to knock you out after you broke into the officer hall, then you were tested to see how different you were on the scale since no perfect would ever dream of doing what you did." My mom cocks a smile, pride shining in her eyes. "If I'm being honest, that was one of the best things you've ever done." I laugh lightly upon hearing this.

"How did I test?" My mom's laughter dies down and she bites her lip, gripping her chair so hard that her hands turn white.

"A six."

"But the scale only goes up to five," I whisper, my heart hammering in my chest. My nose start tingling and my chin quivers.

"You're an exception." I shake my head, tears starting to blur my vision.

"What if I don't want to be different? What if I want to be perfect?" My voice cracks as I say the word perfect, and overwhelming emotions take me over. Why am I feeling so emotional?

It's a side effect, a voice speaks in my head. My hands shake and I let out a small scream as my heart thumps in my chest. Flashbacks from my earlier attack race through my mind and I relax after remembering who it is.

"What's wrong, Holly?" my mom asks, standing up so hard that her chair falls over. Her hands slap the right next to the red button repeatedly while I reach out, grabbing the loose part of her outfit.

"I'm fine." My mind wanders for a second, and I scrunch up my nose. "Where's dad?"

"At work; he will be heading over in about," my mom checks her watch, "twenty minutes. He tried to get off of work, but it's against the law to leave early. He would've been fired and we could have been kicked out of our house." I nod, biting my cheek.

"Was he worried?"

"Was he?" my mom laughs, throwing her head back. "We talked for forty-five minutes and he asked every little detail about your condition. After reassuring him that you were fine, even though I was partly trying to convince myself, he hung up." A small grin plays on my lips and I nod. Love you too, dad.

Hello! Here's another chapter for all of you. :) -Sierra