The Merry Murderer And His Missing Tracks( Temporary Title)

And now here I welcome you to my short story: The Merry Murderer And His Missing Tracks:

It was almost midnight when a loud bang woke me in my sleep. I thought it was the thunder for it was pouring rain and flashes of light darting everywhere, but it wasnt. I confirmed it when the second sound echoed near my house. It was the sound of a gun shot. To be aroused in such manner is not what you call a start of a good day. By the fact that I'm, at the moment, alone and only have a pen at my disposal as a weapon. My younger sister is to be married and my twin brother and our eldest brother are somewhere in the Pacific. Expeditions and search as they call it. And I preferred to stay in the Black Manor, solitude, desolate, far from crowds beady eyes and as I like it. The turn up is, now as you see really not what I had hoped for.

The Black Manor stands on top of a hill and miles from the village, with a clear view of a beautiful mountain ridge.

I was in the midst of deciding whether I should lock my self in or run outside, take my bike and never look back. I wrung my self around in circles, clapping my hand into my forehead trying to pluck out ideas. Gathering my senses and wits made my ears as sharp as ever. I put on warms clothes and tiptoed across my room to the window. I saw a figure of a lean man standing in front of my gate holding a gun and was staring down on what seems to me a dark mass on the ground, immobile like a dead trunk. Lightning darted across the sky revealing the face of the man and exposing the mass on the ground. I only saw part of his face, for he was wearing a mask and his head was covered with a thick black hat. He must've sensed me watching him for he turned his head with such strength that one would snap his neck off or break it. I saw flashes of his eyes moving with such agility that even the lightning could not make it blink for a second.

I stood there frozen in fear and excitement behind the curtain, almost not breathing and wishing that he would go away, but the wind betrayed my hiding place. It blew strongly, exposing me to the stranger below. He started climbing up my six feet gate, leaving the mass behind the bushes. His movements were only visible to me every time lightning strikes the sky.It was like a horror movie from my view, only it is happening now. He was few inches less than six feet, making it easy for him to climb up and move hastily.

He was still meters away from the entrance, I still have time to move but my feet  are glued to my wooden floor and would not budge. I can hear my heart as if it was inside my ear and my whole body is trembling in such a way that all I could do  is hold on to the sheers of my curtain to steady my self.

I heard each of his heavy footstep, steady and fast. Each grew louder, heavy yet certain and my heart beat faster. Screaming is way out of my senses and who would hear it? Flashes of light everywhere and thunder follows it without halting. I blinked my eyes once or twice and when I opened them it revealed the mans silhouette who was minutes ago outside my gate.

His long strides didnt take ten to reach me. He held me with mighty strength, lifting my by the arm. I'm certain he felt the bones of my arm for it hurt bitterly. When I was about to open my mouth he covered it with his huge hand, covering half of my face. Yet I felt his intent was not to kill me for he did not shoot me the moment he arrived. Then again he might no longer have bullets in his barrel. He shook me hard and was uttering something I could not hear, it was buzzing and echoing with the thunder. He took his gun out of his pocket, and with the sight of it, tears burst out of my eyes.

Everything was swaying and whirling, my tears fogging my eyes and moments later I felt water slithering down my throat. I didn't open my eyes for I fear he'd be there. I was literally pushing the hands of the one trying to hold me. Then, I heard murmuring and I could only hear the words 'last night'. So it must mean day time already, but how on earth could they possibly have found me or knew that I am in need of assistance. I must be dreaming. Which of this is a dream and which is reality? come to think of it it's not a dream it's a nightmare. I was in the middle of a debate to my self when a deep cold voice said, "Open your eyes my dear." I gathered few gulps of air and slowly opened my eyes. I saw the owner of the voice, wearing white with skin pale yet cheeks flushed. A young doctor surrounded by swarms of female from the village clinging to his arms and he was smiling back at them. Gently taking off the hands of each maiden, he aided me to a sitting position and called out for Elsie, who ever she is, probably one of his girls. A young lady came in with face all blushed balancing a tray in her hands. The lady gossipers left me. After that I was left alone in my room. I heard them walking out probably exchanging glances and giggling over matters they make up for themselves for amusement and bragging. It was disgusting, what they were gossiping...who are they to create such stories.