Chapter Ten A

With my knowledge of the transportation system and Xander's knowledge of where the house was located, we took two buses to the closest stop to Sea Cliff Avenue. On the bus, Xander acted like a kid on a roller coaster. His lips turned up in a constant smile. His eyes shined with the thrill of trying something new. He wasn't too snobby to take a bus. He'd never had the opportunity before.

I spent the time trying to reconcile the fact I had a boy inside of me. As I thought, I searched the people on the street we passed for anyone familiar. Anyone who might be looking for us.

We got off the bus and walked toward the Society of Aten's mansion—because it had to be a mansion in this neighborhood. The huge houses kept their backs to the street with multiple garage doors and high fences to keep the riff raff out, like me. This wasn't going to be a simple security system.

Going to the source of our problem had seemed like a good idea. But now that we were here facing the walled-off Society mansion, my mind blanked. A niggle of doubt wormed its way inside my brain. What if it was a trap? I really didn't know Xander. Why was I trusting him?

"Are you sure about this?" The sound of the ocean rushing the shore offered no relief.

"What other choice do we have?" Xander scooted around the edges of the driveway. "Do you have any other ideas on how to figure out what's happening to you?"

Dragging my feet, I followed. I'd agreed and I didn't go back on my word.

I gasped at my first glimpse of the Society's house. Blue sky and ocean provided the backdrop for the mega-mansion. The smell of the ocean mixed with the smell of imported palm trees lining the short driveway. Arched doorways and windows added a foreign flair to the two-story home. The walls surrounded three sides to keep nosy neighbors out. Places like this only existed on TV. Certainly not in my life. Every living space shouldn't have the same generic name as house. This didn't compare to where I lived.

"Nice place." I tried to hide the envy in my tone.

"For a prison." Xander's harsh tone matched the expression on his face. Eyebrows bunched over narrowed eyes and a deep frown.

If I had to go to prison, and if I keep up my breaking-and-entering ways I might, I wouldn't mind a prison like this. Much better than the State ones I'd been threatened with when my practice hadn't gone exactly like Fitch wanted. No criminals walked through these double doors. Only the super-rich or the super-famous. And the delivery people who served them.

A grocery delivery van parked on the driveway leading to the side of the house.

"Perfect." Xander straightened and walked around the van toward the garage.

"What're you doing?"

"Our housekeeper is crushing on the delivery guy. The door is unlocked and they'll be in the kitchen for awhile." He peeked into the windows of the garage door. "And all the cars are gone, which means headquarters should be empty."

"What about your maid and butler?" I was only half joking.

"The Society kept minimal and only loyal, housing staff." He twisted the knob and the side door opened.

My shoulders hunched and I wanted to hang back. He didn't need my skills to break in and I didn't belong here. "I'll wait outside."

His questioning look skewered me. "Since we don't know what we're looking for we need two sets of eyes. It'll be faster."

My chin jerked to a haughty angle. My shoulders pulled back and my chest puffed out. This wasn't me, but my new alter-ego taking charge.

"Oh, no you don't." I argued with Tut.

"I don't what?" Xander's terse words and confused expression showed he expected an argument. But one between the two of us, not between me and King Tut.

Not as grand as my place, but it will do.

"We are not going inside." I stomped my foot trying to force my will on a king.

"We're here now." Xander opened the door with a quiet click.

"I didn't mean you. You can go inside." I crossed my arms and imagined my feet glued to the ground. "Tut and I are staying outside." I didn't belong in a place like this.

But Tut had other ideas. My feet tugged. My legs followed. I glided toward the door like a pharaoh entering his palace, or whatever they called it back in ancient Egypt.

Just like running through the park and almost getting hit by the bus or playing soccer in the park, I had no choice. I only hoped Tut wouldn't waltz me in front of the enemy.

Murmurs came from behind the closed kitchen door in the narrow utility hallway. Xander held his finger to his mouth in a shushing motion.

Like I'd be dumb enough to shout out a hello. Had he forgotten my training?

Stale incense hung in the air when we reached the grand foyer, forcing a cough to my throat. I sucked the cough back. "Are you sure no one else is here?"

"I don't think so. Most of the Society members hold outside jobs." Xander waved for me to follow. "Or they're all out looking for us."

That made me feel better. Not.

Sliding along the shiny floor, I let out a slow, quiet whistle. My reflection glared back off the polished marble. Long hair that needed rebraiding, slim body with a flat chest, and legs that couldn't stop moving. Still looked like me, even if I didn't feel like me.

Back in control of my body, I tiptoed following Xander down a long hallway hung with ancient Egyptian artwork. The hall held more valuable pieces than the museum and were much prettier than the amulet.

Xander stopped in front of a set of double doors. He placed his hands together prayer-style and bowed his head. "Golden sun, we worship you."

This time I knew I heard ancient Egyptian, and understood it. "How can you still pray to this god?"

"Just because the hosting has gone awry doesn't mean the religion is false." His simple expression matched his simple statement.

But there was nothing simple about this. If Xander still believed in this whacko religion then I was in danger from all followers—including him.

My heart picked up its pace and my feet prepared to run. I couldn't let him lead me into a dead end. My dead end.

I couldn't just run either. I wanted answers. "Do you still believe in this hocus-pocus?"

"You tell me." He arched a single dark eyebrow. "Do you or do you not host the soul of King Tut?"

Would you like to read the rest of this story right away and for FREE? Sign up for my newsletter and I'll tell you how. www<dot>allieburton<dot>com