{2}

I was grateful for the dark the next night because that meant I could hide easier. I had passed through a ton of alleyways earlier, and I had just found what seemed to be a small neighborhood. When I came to the end of it, I approached a small car repair shop with one light still on in the front, but the rest was dark. I considered it and decided to explore it, around back and everything.

I stopped abruptly in my tracks when I heard a voice coming from the back of the building. Hiding behind a bush that covered me just enough that I could blend in, I looked around the corner to see what the source of the man's voice was.

Just around the corner, there was a large garage, the light coming from it spread across the concrete in front of it. And inside, there was a young guy in a muscle shirt and jeans with scattered tattoos all over his arms working on a car.

Curious, I craned my neck farther, but absentmindedly I fell forward out of the bush. The guy looked my way, but I was able to climb back in before he saw me.

Heart beating fast, I leaned against the concrete wall behind me as I saw his shadow approach. He looked my way and squinted, but it was apparent he didn't see me. Thank goodness that bush was there or I would have been caught.

As he lingered around my area, I got a good look at him. He had blue eyes and dark hair, with chiseled features. His arms looked strong and capable of much, and he wore a cross around his neck, hanging from a chain. The tattoo on one of his arms was a bunch of tree roots intertwined, continuing on down his fingers. But the air around him smelled thickly of tobacco. Sure enough, as he walked back inside the garage, he raised a lit cigarette to his lips and took a puff of smoke.

I'd better get out of here, I thought. I climbed out of the bush as quietly as I could and ran behind a house that was a few yards away, trying to watch him from there.

He looked angry, but sad at the same time. I felt bad for him. He seemed... alone. And it seemed like something was bothering him too.

Before I could think much more about anything, I felt two pairs of hands grab me by my ankles and pull my body out from under me where I crouched. I let out a little scream, but someone covered my mouth, too, as I lay face-flat on the ground.

"Morty, would you --"

"Oh, be quiet, Misty. I want to see if it actually is her."

The guy named Morty, I guessed, flipped me over and took a good look at me. I could see his bright blue eyes shining through the darkness as he eyed me. He gasped, and so did the woman named Misty. "It is her!" he said. "We'd better take her inside."

"Wait, take me in --" I started, but Morty clamped a hand over my mouth. "Don't worry, Nina. Everything's gonna be just fine."

"You know my name?!" I exclaimed beneath Morty's hand.

"Oh, we know your name alright," Misty said, her high-pitched voice glazed with a british accent sounding excited. "We know what you did, Nina Rokhlin. You stole an ancient scroll from the President's office. But that's alright."

Morty uncovered my mouth and led me through a back slider door, closing it behind all three of us. "You guys think that's alright? Why do you think that's alright!" I demanded.

"Because, we know you're just looking for something to do," Morty answered. "Trying to find a way in life."

I rolled my eyes, and Misty spoke. "Listen, Nina. We want to do an experiment on you. We want to test your brain matter and see what you're really thinking, and what caused you to break into the President's office and get sent to Azkaban."

"Alcatraz," Morty corrected.

"Whatever," Misty replied. "So would you rather stay with us and be tested on, or sent back to Azkaban?"

"Alcatraz," Morty repeated.

"Whatever!"

They both looked at me expectantly, and I crossed my arms. "Depends. Are you going to send the lab tests to anyone?"

"Nope. We're just going to analyze them for ourselves."

I narrowed my eyes, staring at both of them back and forth. "Fine."

Morty and Misty exchanged glances and pumped their fists. "Yes!" they cheered in unison.

Misty turned to me and smiled. "Now, come on. Let's get you to bed. You have to be rested for a full day of experimenting tomorrow!"

I groaned as they pushed me upstairs and have me a comfortable room, a good size. "So what's your guys' affiliation?" I asked as Misty sat beside my bed and Morty left the room. I got comfortable, laying down on the pillow and covering up with the bedsheets.

"We're lab partners," Misty answered. "Hey. I saw you."

"Saw me what?"

"Ogling that boy who works in the car garage next door."

My cheeks turned pink and I play-slapped her arm. "I was not! And he's not a boy, he's a man!"

"Well, you know what I mean. He's a young man."

"Well, that's what you should have said."

Misty laughed and turned out the light. "Goodnight, Nina. See you in the morning."

"Night," I mumbled, turning over. Even though I had just met Morty and Misty, the two scientists, and even though they practically abducted me, I felt comfortable with them already. And maybe Misty was right. Maybe I was -- what was the word she used? Ogling -- the guy next door. Anyway, what was to lose?