Ch. 3 Talk and Say Goodbye

The sight of Blossom's deer-in-the-headlights eyes filling with tears awoke an anger in him he thought was dead and buried.

That, and knowing the road-kill ex had humiliated the sweet lady in public.

Earl had every intention of flattening the worthless waste of space under his tires, or his name wasn't Earl Yosemite Winchester Jacobson Jr. He caught Blossom's arm before she could escape into the crowded diner, spinning her around neatly. Her lips parted in winsome surprise.

"You don't have to go anywhere with me, baby. In fact, I'll find you another driver. But it'll be a cold day – and I mean cold enough to freeze my fuel lines – in hell before I let that mongrel put his hands on you again."

She shook her head while moistening her lips nervously. He had an overpowering urge to crush those lips to his and taste the shiny trail her snail-like tongue had left in its wake.

Not so fast. She was scared and lost and if he moved to quickly, she would startle and bolt.

"But, Earl, I already told him—"

"He's the one who left you stranded?" he asked.

"Yes. How did you know?"

"Stay here and I'll handle him," he told her.

"Careful, he gets into fights all the time. I wouldn't want you to...get hurt because of me."

"Blossom, baby, that sorry excuse for a man won't know what hit him."

Earl strode up to the table where the five vermin pretending to be men were sitting. Without pause, he zeroed in on the ex-boyfriend. Earl reached for his left hand – his guitar playing hand – and had it twisted behind his back before the others even noticed him. J. B., the ex-boyfriend, yelped in pain.

"Stand up and come with me," Earl said. "We're going to talk in the parking lot."

"Like hell!" J.B. yelled, grimacing. His band members were out of their seats and ready for a fight.

"I'll break this hand, and then you will all be done with your tour. Now walk with me."

"Call the cops!"

"And explain to them how you stranded a young woman penniless in a parking lot and then groped her in public when she asked you for help. This is the Bible Belt. You don't treat women like that and get away with it."

"We're gonna kick your ass, jerk-off!" J. B. threatened, hissing through his teeth.

"'We?' Then I presume you won't mind if a few of my friends join in. Just for the sake of fairness, of course." At Earl's words, a dozen rugged, road-worn men slowly stood up throughout the room, plus two women with arms like tree trunks, tattoos like sailors and sneers to strike fear in the most hardened criminal's heart. "To keep this really fair, I'll ask the men to step aside, and to sweeten the deal, you can throw the first punch."

The two women grinned and one came forward, cracking her knuckles and loosening her neck and shoulders.

"Wait," said J. B., becoming sweaty and pale. "What do you want with me outside?"

"Just talk and then say goodbye." Earl gave an extra twist on J. B.'s hand.

"Ah! Damn it, fine. Fine. Let's walk. Let go of my hand first, though."

"As you wish, pretty boy."

Earl followed J. B., whose band members trailed along after them. The truckers came last.

When J. B. passed Blossom, he was close enough to throw a 'stupid bitch' her way under his breath.

She glanced away until she met Earl's eyes. Under his steady gaze, she grew taller and lifted her delicate chin higher.

"Maybe I am. But I'm not yours anymore, so keep your insults and your hands to yourself from now on," she said.

Earl's rage instantly transformed to a hot geyser of desire, ready to burst. Her innocent vulnerability coupled with her budding strength and womanly independence filled him with primitive urges, and the knowledge that J. B. had hurt her flooded Earl's arms with the need for revenge.

Cuddles and caresses would have to wait.

The instant they left the building, J. B. turned, only to find his face connecting with Earl's fist in a resounding splat.

He staggered back and spit a mouthful of blood. "What was that? You said we were going to talk!"

"That was for your language on the way out. And now, we talk," Earl said. "Give me your wallet."

"Screw you, asshole!"

"The wallet or I come over there and start breaking fingers."

J. B. tossed him his wallet. Earl removed several twenties and threw it back. "This covers your bill. You and your friends will get off these premises and stay off. Oh, and one more thing. If you ever speak to Blossom, or look at her, or get within 100 yards of her, I can promise you this: one night on a dark stretch of road, I'll be waiting for you, ready to make you sorry you ever lived."

J. B. glanced nervously from Earl to the crowd of truckers fanned out in front of the diner.

"This isn't over!" he said as he hunched his shoulders and headed for his tour bus. His friends were close on his heels.

Earl waited until the bus had disappeared down the road before going inside to find Blossom. The diner had resumed its usual activity by then and she was seated in a booth, hands wrapped around a steaming mug of coffee.

He could see she was shivering, her ample curves filled out the top half of his flannel so well, he could see her every line and tiny tremble. She smiled up at him, infinitely grateful, and he swore he'd drive to the ends of the Earth on the last highway to see that look again. But he had made her a promise.

"I'll ask around and find someone to drive you home. Go ahead and order anything you want to eat, it's my pleasure."

He would have left, but her voice stopped him, reaching into his chest to squeeze his heart like a ripe, juicy lemon. He'd forgotten he even had a heart and now she was pressing it dry.

"Earl? I want you to take me. I want you...to show me...." She paused, swallowing. "I want you to take me all the way...home."

"Are you sure that's what you want?"

"Yes," she said. "I want only you with me in that truck."

He nodded. "All right, then, baby. I'll take of you."

*** Thanks for reading. Replies to comments will be for Sunday or Monday! Just a question for all the Earl fans - does his nickname of 'baby' for Blossom work or not? Why? Hope you enjoyed this update and stay tuned! We still have strange hobbies and mild torture to come! And, of course, a first kiss... ***