xviii

BYUN BAEKHYUN • XI

"Baek, let me see!"

"No," I groaned.

"Just get your butt out here!"

"Ugh, fine," I mumbled and opened my bathroom door, walking out into my bedroom. I was met by my very overjoyed mother.

"Oh, look at you! My boy is so grown up," she smiled and pulled me over towards the body length mirror on the back of my bedroom door. I looked up at my own reflection.

The black suit I had on perfectly clung to my body, making my shoulders look broad. My white button-up shirt was tucked into my straight-cut pants, and my black shoes were gleaming in the light. A simple yet sleek black tie hung from the collar of my shirt, bringing the whole look together. I never even imagined wearing a suit like this.

My mum grabbed my shoulders and turned me around so I was facing her. "You look so handsome today, Baekhyun," she smoothed out the creases on my suit jacket. "Make the most out of tonight."

Yes, that day was the night of the Fall Dance in school, the one that Ha-yi wanted me and Chanyeol to go to. Usually I wouldn't have been the sort of person who attends these sort of parties, because I wasn't exactly the best socialiser. But I'm doing this all for her. For Ha-yi.

Mum looked up into my eyes. There was a glint of pity in hers. "You'll be fine, right? Please don't make us worry."

"Mum, I told you not to say things like that."

"I know, but I can't help myself. Mr Zhang said your co–"

"Mum, please."

She frowned a little but then quickly put on a small smile. Her mouth opened as if she was about to say something, but it instantly closed as her eyes wandered over to something behind me.

"What's all this about?" The familiar deep voice sounded out.

My heart dropped down into my stomach and back up again. Dad.

I slowly turned around and stared at him with a blank expression. I was going to say something but then I felt Mum's grip on my arm.

"Why are you dressed up like that?" Dad's clear and loud voice spoke up, as his eyes scrutinized the suit I had on, his gaze almost boring holes into my body.

"Honey, Baekhyun is going to a party at his school tonight. He might as well, this could be his only chance in having some fun," Mum explained with a smile on her face. The smile she usually used when she tried to convince Dad to do her a favour.

"A party?" He scoffed. "That.. girl won't be there, right?"

"S-she will, but–"

"No. You are not going." Dad cut me off.

"Honey, let him, just this once," Mum pleaded.

"No."

"Why not?" I asked. I didn't understand why...

"You shouldn't be having fun!" Dad roared. I looked down at my feet. "You shouldn't leave a mark on all of these people when there is absolutely no point, you shouldn't be going out when you're like this, Baekhyun!"

By the time I looked up again, Dad was trying his best to contain his emotions inside of him but it was too late. I watched the glassy tears roll down his cheeks.

"But.. I.. I love her!" I yelled back. I couldn't stop myself. After all, it was true. I had realised.

"You don't need to do all of this, you're only going to end up–"