Chapter 4

When I woke up the next morning, I felt nauseous. I dreaded the oncoming day because I had to go back to school as a preppy, rich and famous, Barbie doll. And not even as myself! Rae fabricated our whole story. My name is Dee Kelly. (We’re using my nickname) I’m from Los Angeles who came to Mirth High to research a role on a part for a movie. The role is to be kept a secret, but everyone will know that I come from a rich background. She said it’ll help with my image.

I still don’t understand how she got me in as a transfer, but I’m guessing there’s more to Rae than she lets on. I’ve never met her family yet, and the reason behind that is still unknown. She told me they were always busy and that she had no siblings so there wasn’t any reason for me to meet her family. But there was always this nagging feeling at the back of my head that told me she was keeping something from me.

I got out of bed reluctantly and began the regular rituals of the morning. I brushed my teeth, washed my face, and ran a brush through my newly highlighted hair. By the time I got dressed and headed down for breakfast, Rae was already sitting at the dining table with my brothers hovering over her.

“Morning, Dee,” she said as she took a bite of buttered toast. “Are you really gonna wear that?” I gave her a pointed look.

“Sup, Dee,” my brothers said in unison.

“Morning,” I replied and looked around, “Where’s Kenny?”

“Probably still sleeping,” Bryan said, trying to get Rae’s attention by stealing her other toast. I went back up the stairs into Kenny’s room. Instead of being asleep, I found Kenny on his laptop.

“Hey, why aren’t you at breakfast?” I asked, he looked up briefly then centered his attention on the screen.

“Working on a project,” he replied.

“Oh, what project?”

“I’m entering data on the increase of popularity you’ll receive upon going to school today. Then I’ll record all the data as the days pass and calculate it into a chart which will show your boost in admiration. Rae asked me to do it,” he said. Figures Rae would want to keep tabs. Sometimes Kenny is so smart that it scares me, but being only twelve makes me even more proud of him.

“Well, don’t take too long. You need to eat.” He nodded and I went back downstairs. When I entered the kitchen again, Rae was still sitting at the dining table and my brothers were arguing over what to watch on the television.

“Hey!” I yelled over to my brothers, “You’re about to enter college, are you sure you can be late for orientation?” Spouts of curses were heard as they ran around to get ready to leave. I turned to Rae as the front door slammed shut.

“You asked Kenny to input data on me?”

“Yeah, for progressive steps,” she said, “Alright, let’s get you changed.”

“What’s wrong with the clothes I’m wearing?” I asked.

“Are you kidding, Dee? Those clothes are what Kandy wears. Dee wears the clothes that I bought for her. Now go put those on and I’ll do your hair and makeup.” She pushed me up the stairs despite my protests. Rae raided my closet and picked out a sea green Avalon dress with white Capri pants.

“Wear that with the light brown ballerina slippers and your good.” Then she proceeded to do my hair in an up do, but then let it fall in waves, saying that it would look better to show off the hair. She brushed my face lightly with makeup. She said I needed the innocent look, not the party look. So despite the fact that I needed to seduce boys, I still had to be innocuous. How contradicting. She spent the next couple of minutes fussing over my face and hair, and then drilled me on my background and my mannerisms.