Chapter 29

"Now this is what I'm talking about." I stroll into the hotel lobby in Zacatecas and spin, admiring the elaborate decoration and colonial Mexico feel. "Why have you been holding out on me like this?"

"What?" Zach pretends nonchalance, though I can tell he's just as excited to take a look around.

I dash for a window looking out into the center of the hotel. "Is this—"

"Sí, señorita." The concierge had come up behind us while we were gawking at the architecture. "A former bullfighting ring that has been transformed into this lovely hotel."

" ?" I say. "Sweet. Now I know why you picked this place, Zee. I was going to say, it's a tad pricey for your tastes." I nudge Zach in the ribs with an extra-pointy elbow, which elicits a soft grunt from him.

"What?" Zach mutters. "You keep telling me you have unlimited spending."

I laugh and pat him on the arm before turning my attention back to the concierge.

"It is exquisite, no?" The concierge leads us to the main desk, where he calls for a bellhop to carry our bags.

"Yes, very much," I say, but wave off the bellhop. "We're traveling light."

"Ah, yes. Just the one night?" the man says from behind a computer.

"Sí." Zach jumps into the conversation, Spanish at the ready, but all of the staff so far have spoken excellent English, so it's unnecessary. I feel a smidgen of guilt when I see his expression deflate as the discussion stays squarely en inglés.

"And dinner for you and your . . . companion?" Something seems to be twinkling in the concierge's eye as he tries to catch Zach's attention.

"Yes," Zee replies, though he blushes a tinge. "In the bar will be fine."

Finally, the concierge presents Zach with a pair of room keys. "Please enjoy your time with us, short though it may be. Will you be returning along this same route? We would be happy to make reservations for your return trip."

"No, that's quite all right." I smile and give my hair a playful flip while grabbing the keys from Zach's outstretched fingers. "We're planning on flying home."

"Sí, claro," he says. "Of course. But do let us know if we might be of further assistance to you."

With the keys and papers in hand, I figure it's time to put this show on the road so I can get clean, eat food, and sleep. In that order.

"Thanks!" I wave at the people behind the front desk as I tow Zee by the arm toward the elevator.

Zach swivels his head around to look back at the hotel desk. "He seems a little pushy."

I press the button, which is immediately followed by a tiny ding! "It's rainy season. Tourists won't be out in droves until January, so I'm sure they're trying to drum up customers any way they can."

Zach nods but doesn't say anything.

The elevator ride is short, to the third floor. Once again we're greeted with a spectacular view as we step into the hallway, which is lined with windows facing the center of the bullring. I have to grab Zach's shirt and tug him along behind me, as his eyes swiftly catalogue the details of the inner ring.

"I'm sure we'll have just as great views from our rooms," I say, "so why don't we go look at those."

"They'd better," he mumbles, but he takes a key from my hand and goes to open the door while I step a few more feet down the hallway until I reach my own room for the evening.

I'm already inside and about to shut the door when I hear, "E—. I mean, Juniper."

I reach my head around the doorway. "Sí?"

"We should shower and change clothes before dinner, so . . . see you in thirty?"

I flash him the OK sign and retreat into my room, locking the door behind me. Thankfully the hotel room checklist goes smoothly—no bugs here—so it's off to the shower. First, I pull a casual sundress from my bag and place it on a hanger in the bathroom to hopefully steam out the few wrinkles that had settled in.

Before hopping in the shower, though, I head to the window and open it wide so I can look out over the magnificent architecture.The last light of day gives the stones a rosy hue that only heightens their beauty. As I lean out, I throw my head back and take in a lungful of air, only to be disrupted from my zen by snickering. When I turn my head, I'm not surprised to see Zee looking out his own open window. He's pretending to study the building, but I know that wasn't what first grabbed his attention. I stick my tongue out at him before pulling my window shut. Stupid boys.