Chapter 2 Realization (Iris)

"Ow" I murmured. "What the....the..the..all ....burned....... what happened?" I looked around as if someone was there but all I saw was black. Even the moon was blacked out by the clouds. It felt like I was one of the blind beggars who used to litter the streets. My eyes soon adjusted and I saw everything. The houses, the people, the merchant stalls, everything. My parents! The thought hit my mind like an ax rips through flesh. They must be dead I thought.

I began to break down. To most people this would be bad but I've grown used to it. You see I didn't really have a good childhood. My real parents died in a bandit attack when I was nine, just old enough to sneak  into the city. After that I lived in the Niffelhiem orphanage but because of the poverty and rules, it was worse than living in the streets. At twelve I was kicked out of the orphanage for trouble making which was a gift from God. On the streets, I  lived in an alley behind a sweet couples house. Once they found me they invited me to live there but being in a family made me think of my real parents which made me break down and have flashbacks. After seven years of it, it became normal. So now here I am, an eighteen year-old girl that was once an orphan and now is one again.

My real mom was really pretty but the only things I remember about her was her brown hair and her eyes that made me think of water. I remember a lot about my dad though like his orange hair and hazel eyes. He was a merchant which was why we were robbed in the first place. I like to think that he was a good man but I still have yet to meet a good merchant.

My adopted mom, Sandra, was a really nice person. She was a gardener and stay at home mom for me. She always wore a brown and white dress which made her emerald eyes stand out. she also had black hair that looked like coal. Marcus, my adopted dad was a fisherman. He was always damp and couldn't stand to be too dry. Me and him would go to the beach and collect seashells when he could spare the time. He had a kind face with so many freckles that he looked like a dirty piece of white marble. His blue eyes were kind of grey like the deep ocean and he had brown hair with a beard that made his face look like a tree trunk.I used to think it was hilarious.

With those happy and depressing thoughts on my mind, I got up and as soon as I did so, the moon came out from behind a large cloud which illuminated what was left of the town square. I began to walk toward the black granite fountain but slipped in a mud puddle and hit my head making my headache even worse. By that time I couldn't fight of sleep any longer so I went into what was left of the town hall and took a long and needed nap. 

Around noon or so, I got woken up by some girl screaming but I couldn't make out what she was saying. I started rushing toward the house and I heard then another higher pitched scream come from the house. The door was blocked so I sneaked in through the back door. Once inside I heard two voices, one from a child that said "Mommy why did you have to hit him?" and another that said "I I I just I don't know  just play with your doll". It was obvious that the woman did something which scarred herself and her child. So I crept silently up the stairs but because of the old wood, it make a creaking noise on the last step. That was when a child peaked through one of the doorways and screamed. The woman then rushed out and began to beat me with a cooking pot which eventually knocked me out.