1

Laina looked around her room as she sat up quickly in her bed. The thunder from outside had scared her awake, and she let out a breath of annoyance. She fell back against her pillows and stared up at the ceiling, the dark making it impossible to tell what the real color was. Laina turned her head to look at the time on her clock, 4:48 am. She contemplated what she should do. She had twenty minutes before she needed to actually start getting ready for work, and twenty minutes wasn't enough time for her to actually get some good rest.

Laina rolled over onto her side and curled up, getting out from under her blanket would be too cold to do right now. She reached her arm to the night stand and grabbed her phone; she pressed the power button to turn it on and waited until the familiar glowing light of her lock screen lit up her room. She went through the unread texts and emails, then listened to the voicemail her mom had left her. Her mom wanting to wish her an early happy birthday because she wouldn't make the visit this year, saying she was going on a business trip. Laina rolled her eyes irritated that her mom could cancel on her all the time so easily.

She checked the time again 4:59. Deciding it was a good idea to just start her day already, she sat up and stretched. She swung her legs over the side of her bed and slid off; her sock covered feet walking down the hardwood floor lightly. She grabbed her undergarments, a white camisole, black suit jacket, and a black skirt that ended just above her knees.

Laina walked to the bathroom, shutting and locking it behind her. She pulled the curtain open and started the shower. Before she got in, she brushed her teeth and her hair, then stepped into the warm running water.

She ran her fingers through her long hair, massaging the shampoo into it then rinsing. She repeated the process for the conditioner after letting it sit. Before she could grab her favorite strawberry scented body wash there was a knock on the bathroom door. "Hurry up already, I have to pee." Laina's twin sister had said with frustration, but Laina only rolled her eyes and continued her shower. When she got out she quickly got herself dressed and wrapped her crimson hair in a towel, she walked out, her sister sighing a heavy "Finally", without bothering to shut the door behind her while she urinated.

Laina went back into her room and opened up her dresser getting out a pair of nude colored socks to wear with her black pumps. She went to the kitchen and started making eggs when her sister came out in her black and white striped pajama pants and neon pink sports bra. "Do you want some before I leave for work?" Laina made her way to the fridge and pulled out an english muffin; she put the two halves of the muffin in the toaster sitting on the counter next to the sink.

"Nah, I'm not hungry." Her sister replied with a shrug. Laina shook her head and let out a sigh.

"Ryan, you need to eat something today. You didn't eat anything yesterday. Don't pretend that you don't know what I'm talking about. I'm your twin sister, I know when you are eating and when you just wait until I leave the room to throw it away." Laina studied Ryan carefully with narrowed eyes, while Ryan smiled at her sister.

"Don't worry about it, I'll eat. I just haven't been hungry." Ryan reassured Laina. The english muffin halves were ready and Ryan grabbed them, putting them on a paper towel for Laina then placing the egg on top of it. She handed the quick sandwich to her sister. "Get going, you're going to be late for work."

Laina stood there a moment before speaking "Maybe I should stay home today... I have PTO that hasn't been used." Laina was suddenly feeling worried about her sister, but Ryan shook her head.

"Don't waste it just because you're worried about me. I promise I will definitely eat while you are working. I have no reason not to." Ryan turned her sister around and began moving her to the door, when they stood in front of the door Ryan took the towel that held Laina's hair up. "There, now just run your fingers through it a bit and you should look fine for work." Laina looked carefully at her sister, knowing that her sister was going to be stubborn she let out a sigh of defeat.