γ

“Jonnie?” I asked.

“Mhm?” Jonnie replied, looking at me. I swallowed my piece of rib, hoping that he would be mad at me in any way.

“Jonnie, I want to go to the mortal world,” I told him. It felt good to finally let it out.

“YOU WHAT?!” Jonnie bellowed.

Okay. Wasn’t the answer I was expecting, but okay.

“You can’t go to the mortal world!” Jonnie exclaimed. “You belong here. You have your duties and your responsibilities! Perrie, you can’t do that. I’m sorry, but you just can’t!”

“Why not?!” I demanded. I stood up and held my ground. I can fight for what I want—it was the girl I am. I’m the goddess of many things. Being the Goddess of War is one of them. I don’t think a person in their right mind would try to upset me. Jonnie can’t just give me some lame excuse and say no to me!

“Perrie, you just don’t understand—”

“Why am I trapped here?!” I said, and my voice increasing volume more and more. “All the 500 years of my life! Jonnie, you don’t understand! I really want a taste of freedom! I want adventure! I want to explore the places I’ve never been to before! All my life, I’ve been stuck in this stupid place that I’m not even allowed to leave this place, and—”

“What are you talking about?” Jonnie interrupted. “You get to go outside on the balcony all the time!”

He. Did. Not.

My jaw dropped to the floor, and I was absolutely enraged. How can Jonnie say such a thing? I get to go outside on the balcony? I felt so mad, I almost wanted Jonnie dead. What’s worse than the Goddess of War and Death?

The next thing I knew, I was in a godly form. I was a giant demon with wings and fire was everywhere. Jonnie hurriedly took a step back. “No! No, no, no, no, no, no, no, I didn’t mean that! Perrie, I’m sorry! I’m sorry, Perrie! I—”

“SHUT UP!” I screeched. The fire became bigger, but I wasn’t bothered by the immense heat. “Did you really just say that? Gods, you always make me so upset!

“That’s just your anger talking,” Jonnie said calmly. Or at least, he was trying to be calm. He was shaking in his boots, and was afraid to be near me. Well, Jonnie, you should be. I had a right to be angry. I just can’t stay here my entire life!

“You can’t keep me here!” I spat.

“We have to!” Jonnie said. “Otherwise… Otherwise… Well, uh—”

“You don’t even have a good reason to keep me here!!”

“No! No, we do! It’s just that—”

“It’s just that, what?”

“Well, uh, you’re a danger to the outside world,” Jonnie said, no louder than a whisper. My jaw was hanging again, but it wasn’t because of anger. It was because of sadness.

I shrank down from my demon form. The fire was gone, and I was now that nineteen-year-old girl again. Was I really a threat to the people? Did they think I was that dangerous? Am I dangerous? So many questions were racing around my mind. This is why nobody let me leave.

But then again, whenever I snuck out with Leigh-Anne, nobody would run away scared of me. They just happily smiled. Everyone would have fun, and nobody had a problem with me being outside. But I couldn’t say to Jonnie that they didn’t have a problem with me. I would basically be telling him, “I sneak out all the time without you knowing.” Though that was true, it was a secret Jonnie couldn’t know.