Cross My Heart

Prologue

18th century Scotland

Her golden hair shimmered in the faint lighting that peered through the stain glass windows, she landed near the entrance to where they would meet- 'ye old Seraph.'

Shining blue material hugged her body but that wasn't what caught his eye. It was her wings. They were spread out around her; the base of them carved her bare shoulder blades. The tips of their feathers were tinged with pink. He gawked. In all the centuries he had known her, the beauty of this angel still left him speechless.

Not even his own raven black wings could compare to the sheer beauty of this angel before him.

She smoothed out the silky dress and drew her wings together, pinching them to her back. He stood in the shadows and watched as they folded in on themselves and disappeared between shoulder-blades so pale they looked luminescent.

She then opened the solid wooden door that led inside, music from the celidh band peeked through the gap. Before she went in she looked down the street they stood in, but she didn’t see the dark angel that stood just a few meters away. He was hidden by the shadows his dark wings a perfect camouflage. She stepped through the threshold, by the time it had swung shut he had already concealed his wings and silently followed her into the warm smells of a Scottish drinking place.

Once in he searched for her, several men of different shapes and sizes propped up against bar stools, they each wore tweed suits and a farmer's cap, talking enthusiastically about crops and a certain breed of 'tattie.'

He tried to walk as casually as possible, there was no need to bring any more attention to himself, he stood out like a sore thumb. To any of the humans here he would look like a flawless being, too perfect to be human.

Then he spotted her.

She sat on a well worn seat, made of deer hide, which sat in the corner of the room. A fireplace was mounted against the far wall, the flames licked up the wood.

He picked up pace, so desperately wanting to be near her. As if sensing his presence, she turned. He stopped short of the back to the seat, and stared into her eyes.

“Lailah,” he moaned before closing the distance and catching her in a familiar embrace. He pressed his lips to hers, softly at first before pressing harder against her. She placed a delicate hand on his chest to push him away.

“Kane,” she regarded him with shining blue eyes. She peered at his all black ensemble. “Fashionably late, as always.”

He smiled, “Good Evening, my love” he bowed his head a placed a kiss on her hand.

At this tinkering laughter escaped her already uplifted lips.

~*~

Kane padded barefoot across the wooden panels of the bedroom, he leaned against the frame of the open window looking out at the picture perfect loch before him.

The raindrops that hung there prickled his bare forearms, a faint wind trickled over the exposed skin of his body. He took a moment of peace, which was rare for him, and turned, towards his love.

Blonde hair swept down her body to the small of her back, a transparent sheet was draped across her as she lay on the large bed.

She slept silently, her breathing soft. As always she was his beauty. Somehow still as youthful and beautiful as when he first met her. Even after centuries of battle, she bore no scars.

No, he cussed himself, he would not think of that. Not now, not here. Yet despite his silent pleading the thoughts trickled through, flashes of destruction and ash stabbed his shut eyelids.

Although, the physical pain that countless battles between the Holy and the Fallen had given him could not compare to the heartache he suffered.

Even as he looked at her now he still felt it, the pain was dimmed now but, like a drug addict given cocaine, after their encounter it would just leave him more torn apart than before.

He had fallen. Fallen for her, and fallen for selfish means. He yearned for power, he was jealous of God’s power. Being a powerful archangel just wasn’t enough, he had to have more.

He had paid the price. Damned for eternity, forever at Satan’s wrath, walking the earth with a half life as a fallen angel but there was nothing that pained him more than losing Lailah. It had been centuries since he laid eyes upon her, he purposely avoided fights with her Clan of angels as to not cause her any more harm.

No, he would not think about all that now. Their time was running out and he was not going to waste it. Within moments, his beloved was in his arms, her head resting on his chest. Unknown to him, they had changed history.

In the years to come, he would never regret the small blonde baby with its stormy blue eyes that currently grew in his mate’s womb, who would one day succumb to darkness...

____________________________________________________________

Hi all, If you are reading this then that means your reading my story! Thank you for giving it a chance. I'm going to update regularly, but only when I'm satisfied with the progress of the previous update.

So please, Vote, Comment (I like feedback, even if it's constructive) and Fan! ~If you like it! :)

~MJ x

Copyright 2011

ErosRiot